Cider. Advice needed.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Bodger

Cider. Advice needed.

Post by Bodger » Wed May 28, 2008 1:50 pm

I found this site this morning.

http://www.winepress4u.co.uk/index1.htm ... 1QodnGURkg

I bought something very similar to the smallest version about two or three years ago and it worked very well. You mash the apples up and place the cheese as its known into a bag made of material something akin to net curtain before pressing it.

I've only got a little one. :oops: :oops: :oops:

My eyes lit up when I saw how big this company go with this particular design. The 265 litre version would far too big for my needs but one of the smaller ones could be just what I need. I've phoned them up and the bigger versions need a bag in the same way as the small ones do.
My next question was how much are the bags, to which their reply was " We don't provide one" This obviously means that any prospective purchaser is left with the problem of sourcing the right material, getting the right size and then getting a bag made.

Has anyone tried using one of these and if so, does the mechanics work on the larger versions as well as it does on the smaller ones ?

Bodger

Post by Bodger » Wed May 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Its the same three blokes that drink it as well DaaB. :lol: Image

Bodger

Post by Bodger » Wed May 28, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm the fat one and the other two are my sons. We don't take it in turns to drink but it sure helps if you are first. :lol:

I'm seriously thinking about getting the bigger version of the ones shown on the website if i can get a suitable bag designed and made.

andywills

Post by andywills » Wed May 28, 2008 4:43 pm

nice hat

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Wed May 28, 2008 5:44 pm

You could probably use any suitably strong material to make the bag, even an all cotton pillow case would probably do or a heavy linen sheet could be sewn into a bag. You might take the small bag which you have down to a haberdashery and see if they do anything similar, I imagine anything of the same general mesh and strength would do.

Maltloaf

Post by Maltloaf » Thu May 29, 2008 1:41 pm

I've got the 6 litre version from vigo and it doesn't need a bag. The staves are close enough to hold back 99.9% of solids. Are you sure you need a bag?
I guess you could run the juice through a muslin bag if you really wanted to catch all the floaters...

Cheers,
ML.

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:49 pm

What is your budget?

the bladder presses available from vigo are fantastic, I have the 40 litre one and it is just the bees knees (it was £560) but they do a 20 litre one for less.

http://www.vigoltd.com/vigo-catalog-hydropresses.html

Vossy1

Post by Vossy1 » Thu May 29, 2008 8:21 pm

The company (wpfu) is run by Peter and mark of The Homebrew Shop Stockport.
They have the big press in the shop and it's quite impressive 8)

I've got a small one too :lol:

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Thu May 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Go to Mothercare and buy a pack of muslins, sew two together and put a draw-string on one side.

Sorted.