Lucky Gift?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
PMH0810

Lucky Gift?

Post by PMH0810 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:45 am

After expressing an interest I have been passed my own copy of "First Steps in Winemaking" by C J J Berry.

Seems fascinating and easy enough - will disseminate and then pick up what I need to have a go. Anyone got any experience of this fellow and his epistle?

Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:57 am

Its a good basic introduction . . . and will give you some good results

Personally I prefer Progressive winemaking by Bryan Acton and Peter Duncan

More modern would be Must by Gerry Fowles

Both of these titles are aiming for high quality wines, Acton and Duncan have recipes to produce 'clones' of regional types which are bloody good.

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:46 pm

The CJJ Berry book is good, but the recipes it contains have too much sugar in them, use your hydrometer to determine how much sugar to add (shoot for 1.080 to 1.090) I find that most of the recipes are 1/2lb of sugar too much per gallon

But if you read the technique bits, they are good.

regards
bob

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Thank you for the comments guys - I'll pick up some second hand kit and give them a whirl (marking the sugar comment certainly!).

CyberPaddy66

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:52 pm

Just checked my stack of books and yes I have that one too, some useful notations by the previous owner inside the front cover :lol:

Best bit I've seen so far (not actually read the damned thing tbh) is the section near the back that goes month by month on what's harvest-able for brewing :D