Juicer at Lidl

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Bryggmester

Juicer at Lidl

Post by Bryggmester » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:08 pm

I see that Lidl will be selling juicers on offer for about a tenner from Thursday. I have had goos results from TC but would like to progress (gradually) to something more satisfying. I have read that you can make a good cider using a food processer and straining the sludge through net curtain cut offs. I was wondering if a juicer would be OK for small quantities of cider or would the juice produced in this way be unsuited for cider manufacture. Has anyone any ideas about this?

NickL

Post by NickL » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:50 pm

I have a cheap juicer as well as my cider press. I never made cider from the juice from the juicer but it was much cloudier and seemed a little sweeter than from the press. I don't think that the cloudiness will affect the cider as the suspended solids will all drop out, anyway cloudy cider is ok.

I use a food processor with the grater attachment to pulp the apples before they go in the press. I would think that to get all (or most) of the juice out of the pulp you need to squeeze it. Wringing a net curtain may be enough but I don't know.

My juicer is really crap - it takes a few minutes to make one glass (1/2 pt) of apple juice and makes a mess. You have to clean the filter screens all the time too. Might be alright for a gallon but for 5gallon batches I would get a press if you are getting serious. My press is a smallish stainless steel one about 4 litres capacity and cost me about £80 I think and is adequate for 5 gallon pressing sessions which is all Ill ever need.
:D

toplad

Post by toplad » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:33 pm

forget the juicer i think there 100% apple juice is the best around.

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks for the information. I had a look at the bumf on the box in Lidl today and thought that it looked a bit puny for the job in hand. Back to the drawing board!