Finings for cider?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
BrewMonkey

Finings for cider?

Post by BrewMonkey » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:04 pm

Will gelatine work in TC as it does in beer? I got 5 gallons of the stuff sitting here ready for a barbecue in a week`s time and it`s still cloudy as hell :shock: (along with 10 gallons of beer... Guana be quite a barbecue, doubt if we even get the fire lit :lol: )

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:54 pm

i've fined cider - no problem.

Andy S

Post by Andy S » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:31 pm

If it's not clear by the BBQ then just serve it as scrumpy :wink:

MMBrewing

Post by MMBrewing » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:36 am

I've used isinglass , pretty effective. mind you calling it scrumpy and to h*ll with the clarity could be a plan

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:48 am

I'm dead against fining cider.
If you had time I'd suggest you just left it to clear naturally.
Best to just serve it cloudy... I don't trust clear cider anyway! It's the devils work.

BrewMonkey

Post by BrewMonkey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Them be the words of a true countray bumpkin, richard_senior :lol: but I haven`t the time, and I got tons of the stuff to get rid of on anyone stupid enough to drink it, at 9% ha ha! It`ll never be clear clear in time I don`t think, just that at the moment it still looks like a mud puddle.. Any clearER would be advantageous, shall we say. The clearer it is, the more they`ll drink.. London-folk, y`know... Methinx I`ll give it a bash with some gelatine and see what happens :D
This is purely a brew to get the party kicked off. I can`t wait to see what happens when it`s all gone. I think a game dizzy drunken penalty-shootout is in order 8)
With a glutton at hand......

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Well as much as it pains me to say it...
I have used the isinglas you get in an orange packet to clear cider before now.. and it works very very well.

BrewMonkey

Post by BrewMonkey » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:38 pm

HA! I knew it!
I have no isinglass though. I don`t think... But I`ll have a look. I got some 2-part stuff that I use on my wine, and gelatine. One of them will do the trick! Wish me luck :)

BillyBrewer

Post by BillyBrewer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:50 pm

Isinglass or gelatin will work, provided you made the cider with clear, not cloudy juice. As with beer, the finings will work best on a falling temperature.

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:21 pm

i've aux-fined cider too :lol: