Elderflower Champagne Picture

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:23 pm

hmmmmmmm

this rustic approach take it as it comes natural yeast thingy really fries my head

Im all for making traditional brews, but pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease use modern yeasts an techniques :)

the world really isnt flat you know

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:25 pm

Only kidding of course, but modern materials (campden tablets) can prevent mold growing, and modern yeasts (I suggest Lalvin 71B-1122 ) will make it progress to finishing easily

GTOrichie

Post by GTOrichie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:57 pm

I did use wine yeast but Probably not enough I will pitch a little more before I go to bed I'm sure that will speed things up a little more.

I did avoid using capden tho which I would normally do when I'm using anything that's had insects crawling all over it

thanks for the advice will keep you posted

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:09 am

It is also possible to make up a cordial from the elderflowers, which is a great addition to other wines for boquet. I'm thinking of brewing a lager and adding some to that.

ELDERFLOWER SYRUP
Collect Elderflowers in full blossom on a dry day and shake the florets into a preserving (jam making) pan approximately a quart is the minimum quantity required. Just cover with water, simmer for thirty minutes, making good any water boiled away, then squeeze out the juice and return it to the pan. Add ¾ lb of sugar for each pint of liquid and simmer again for ten minutes, skimming if necessary. Allow to cool, bottle , cork and sterilise.

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:11 am

My buddy Luc Volders has a weblog and he has a recipe for elderflower cordial on there...scroll to the bottom of the page for the English translation

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/02/v ... -wine.html

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:41 pm

I had a wine that I put together on Fri evening, it wouldn't start, added some more nutrient, and it finally started this morning....it was a well balanced must, so my theory is.....the atmospheric pressure was causing it to stick.

well sounds fairly scientific eh?

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Had a crack at it...
3 Heads
2 Lemons sliced, and rinded (rinds added)
Full bag of sugar (1Kg)
sultanas (half handfull)
Corriander seeds (5)
White Wine Vinegar (1 tbsp)
Country Wine Yeast (because couldn't bear idea of not using any)

seankeggers

3 Down 7 to go

Post by seankeggers » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:11 pm

Went in the beer cave yesterday :? Three bottles of my elderflower champagne were no where to be seen :shock: but the cave smelt reall good!!! I did find the remains of the bottles but they wont be much use now :lol:

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 pm

commiserations on the fallen brew.

smiles
adam

seankeggers

I agree

Post by seankeggers » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:32 pm

I had to release the pressure on another bottle which i think i've saved. Just checked the rest and they seem to be stable now. One of the bottles was over 6ft away :shock: all that fizz must send em flyin!!!

GTOrichie

Post by GTOrichie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:03 pm

No damage I hope?

Anyway thanks for the heads up I will keep a close eye on mine then

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:20 pm

The 12th commandment that god gave to moses was :

yea shall not bottle until the hydrometer he say yes.

seankeggers

More gone Bang

Post by seankeggers » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:03 pm

Another ones gone BANG!!! only got 2 left. Think i'll let it ferment a bit longer next time..... :lol:

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:08 pm

Mines bubbling away in the demijohn in an eerilly regular way.
It's been going like a grandfather clock for a few days now.
It smells divine.

Frenchie Laurence

Post by Frenchie Laurence » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:54 pm

well as i mentionned in another elderflower page, mine exploded too. I think there is a big difference between using Yeast or not! the result is a different brew. Without you get something really sweet and delicious like a lemonade that is not to be bottled tightly. The second (with Yeast, if you are lost in my explanation) must be all the way transformed and must taste a lot more dry.
I managed to rescue some unexploded bottled which i transfered to Grolsh bottle, that way i could control the pressure and it worked.