Exploding scrumpy

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
oxford brewer
Under the Table

Exploding scrumpy

Post by oxford brewer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:29 pm

I filled a 1ltr swingtop bottle with my scrumpy from a barrel this morning with the intention of giving it to a mate at work,I filled it to the brim then snapped the lid shut.When I filled the bottle the scrumpy was at 1c at 12.15pm today when the bottle was on my desk it was about 23c :wink: at 12.16pm I heard a faint sound of glass breaking followed by a sweet smell of scrumpy :shock: :shock: the bottle had broken at the base and the neck and dumped its contents everywhere :cry: :cry: .At least the lid didnt give way :roll: :roll:
Does anyone know what sort of pressure would cause that to happen :?:
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:15 pm

DaaB wrote: Sorry no idea what pressure Grolsch bottles can handle, champagne bottles can take up to 90 psi iirc though.
Swingtops are easier to cap at 6.15am though :wink: :wink:

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

DRB

Post by DRB » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Did you make it out of apples and not juice ? What do you use to chop and press them ?, only asking as I want to give it a bash this year.

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:08 pm

There's a little bulging bit on most swingtops near the top. That bulge is for gas :)

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:29 pm

DRB wrote:Did you make it out of apples and not juice ? What do you use to chop and press them ?, only asking as I want to give it a bash this year.
We used a scratter and a 150year old cider press,3 tonnes of cider apples from a cider orchard and no added yeast :shock:
I went on this course run by Richard Burns,here is the website http://www.cheerswinemakingandbrewing.c ... cider.html
The course is good value and very informative 8)
Its last years course dates but phone the shop and speak to Richard(just make sure you have a spare hour or so because he is a great conversationalist :wink: :wink:

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:42 pm

I've bought a 'bottle jack' for 8 quid.
My plan is to weld a small square frame and bolt the jack on the inside of it, then make a little apple press with it.
I'll wash the apples and put them in a plastic fermenting bucket, then I'm going to modify a paint mixer so that it's a big ass blade, and use a drill to mince the apples.. transfering them to the press...
Will do this when my neighbours tree is ready in the autumn!

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:02 am

You may want to add some crab apples to your mix as they give certain benefits to cider!
Have a look through this website as its the best that I could find http://www.cider.org.uk/

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning