Its turbo time

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Frisp

Its turbo time

Post by Frisp » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:03 pm

As A diversion while I collect the bits and bobs for my fermentation bin, Im not putting any more ale on until I get a stable environment for my brew.
I have decide to amuse myself with some TC
4.5 lts of Lidll cloudy apple juice and champagne yeast 19 C its bubbling lovely
Just started 4.5 ltr Lidll carnberry and Raspberry juice with champagne jice looks good so far.

The cranberry looks like it would make a good pink wine with a bit more sugar onboard.
Might do that tomorrow. This brewing lark is a bit addictive

stevezx7r

Post by stevezx7r » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:51 pm

Nice.

I did the cran/rasp a while ago and although it needed sweetening it was pretty good - especially for a couple of quid and ten minutes work. :wink:

Frisp

Post by Frisp » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:20 pm

Just a thought
If I like the initial samples,
I take it if I just throw another 5 ltrs of Juice in on top of the Settled yeast, give it a shake, fit a clean airlock it would be Ding Ding round two?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:24 pm

Yup, shouldnt be a problem, give it a good shake to get some oxygen in there.

Frisp

Post by Frisp » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:19 pm

Woo Hoo

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:07 pm

as an experiment i too have just filled two demi johns with apple juice and bread yeast, its been nice knowing you all :D

Frisp

Turbo Advice please

Post by Frisp » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Amigo's
My turbo brews are starting to slow. They havnt gone mental anyway.
At what point to I bottle them? I want to bottle condition as I want a clearish fizzy brew

ColinKeb

Post by ColinKeb » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:52 pm

mine have been bubbling away nicely and still look like theyve got a way to go. the wife muttered something about leaveing but hey ... :lol:

Frisp

Post by Frisp » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:12 pm

Ok the lidll cloudy apple juice has slowed to a stop. Deacanted it into a 2nd demijon and added 1/2L of the stock juice. I made sure that a tiny bit of the mustier looking stuff near the yeast deposit went in. I shared it (5L) evenly amongst 6 1L PET bottles, As I want enough airgap to store a fair bit of Co2 before chilling.
The lot is now in teh airing cupboard at a balmy 24C to kick statrt it. I will movve it back to its originat 18 - 20C location tomorrow.

I gave the yeast deposit a bally good shake and added 4L of tesco cheappie Apple top see what happens. Threw that in the airing cupboard and woo hoo it looks like its p[icking up one hour after putting it together.

The initial sips from the Lidll TC are good. Tastes a bit like a Sweet Thatchers rough ( for all you westcountry blokes)

Excuse the Typos I have been slaking my thirst all day with some of my Cooper Dark ale.

RbrewR

Post by RbrewR » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:45 pm

Had a spare demi and thought this sounded fairly simple so i've given it a bash. Using 4l of Safeway Juice and champagne yeast, warmed the cartons a little in some warm water to just under 30C, start bubbling almost instantly. Looking forward to the hangover already!

Frisp

Flippin eck

Post by Frisp » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:09 pm

Peeps
Im a regular guzzler of Blackthorn and a nice staedy evening is 2 to 2.5 L, I never took any hydromoter readings of my Tesco clear TC. so I have no idea how strong it is.
I have just had my first .75L bottle.
Its delicious it tastes like a dry blackthorn and flippin eck my head is spinning, this is more like a 6%+ cider. It is lovley and fizzy and less than 50p a pint. It doesnt have that sticky sweek taste in the mouth that some regular fizzy ciders have.
Im putting 5 gal on at the weekend. This is excellent. Whoever suggested that this stuff tases "Thin" is clearly not an exponent of getting pissed on the pippin
It is the "Cahones de los peros" ( dogs nads for those who no comprende espanole)

faeyd

Post by faeyd » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Just so I get this right before I try this tomorrow fellas - it's literally 4L of apple juice and some champagne yeast? That's it?

Frisp

Post by Frisp » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Close
Its 5 L of tescos value apple juice ( 1ltr cartons)
I keep these in the place where I will ferment the TC so that it is at the right temp when I add the yeast
Put 4 Ltrs in the demijon ( cleaned and sanitied)and pitch your yeast. I used Lavlin champagne for the first batch, nice dry and bubbly, on the downside the yeast sediment in the bottles moves easily when pouring ( Im trying Youngs Cider yeast on the current 20L batch) . Fit an airlock

Watch it ferment and when it has slowed a bit add half a liitre of the last carton.
Watch it ferment away some more until it slows right down to a near stop.
Make sure that your remaing half ltr is at the same temp as your fermented juice Throw it into a sanitiseed container.
Syphon the fermented 4.5 ltrs into the container so that it mixes with the 1/2 ltr of unfermented.
Make sure its all well mixed and bottle it into clean PET bottles I use 1 and 2 Ltrs cheap asda water bottles. Make sure the lids are back on tight. I also left about 2 inches at the top
Pop the bottles back to the nice cosy place where you brought your TC into the workld just for a week or so to let it gas up, And bacause they are PET bottles you can give them a daily squeeze until they are rock hard, then you know that the bottle has carbonated.
When you are happy that this has happened chill them down in the fridge fro a few days and the cider will absorb the Gas.
Open and Pour and hang on for dear life - you will never drink factory fizzy again

faeyd

Post by faeyd » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:52 pm

Nice one guys. I have a demi going crazy right now.

Was quite busy today - bottled 20 litres of Eastern Ale, got a gallon on TC and a gallon of my first wine attempt on the go. Both gallon experiments are doing very well right now.

I had no citric acid for the wine recipe I was following so I hope that turns out ok.

Shn00dleS

Post by Shn00dleS » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:14 pm

both my brews have alot of sediment, is it ok to use beer finings on them or is better to strain through linen, considering that i have to pour out the brew from the top of demigon, maybe a syphon from top??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/ ... d/brew.jpg