wine and beer equitment

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
kevthebootboy

wine and beer equitment

Post by kevthebootboy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:57 pm

ive been thinking (danerous thing that :wink: ) i want to try my hand at abit of wine brewing,but ive read that your not suppost to use your beer brewing tackle to brew wine with, why is this? and what would happen if i did? quite fancy it but i dont want to have to buy all new tackle,

cheers and beers
kev

DRB

Post by DRB » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Ive done wine in my ferment er used for beer and I use all the same syphoning stuff, no problems as of yet for me.

Frisp

Post by Frisp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Buy an Asda 5L water containers currently selling at 89p including water, I tip the water dril a14MM hole in the lid, But a small rubber bung with a hole in the middle from my homebrew centre fopr a for around 70p and fit an airlokk in the bung. Hey Presto a cheap reusable wine fermentor - a darn site cheaper than a demijon.
Add a bit of sodium metab as a cheap sanitiser, Rinse thoroughly.
pour in some TEassco apple juice and some yeast.
( see posts for Turbo Cider recipes)
Sit it in a bucket in case it froths over, Leave it in some heat (around 20C)
Sit back and watch your first brew take shape.
Jim

Road Runner

Post by Road Runner » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:45 pm

Frisp wrote:I tip the water
Why not use the water. If it's "Natural Spring Water" surely it'll have less chlorine/chloromine etc than Tap Water.

Maybe a little lead & sheep poo leached from the mountain side, but hey ho! :lol:

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:46 pm

Thats a good idea that, i buy my ale brewing water in those 5L bottles (sainsburys - 67p ) so i always end up with a load cluttering up the kichen/recycling bin/garden, probly best to start off with a 5l batch if it gos tits up theres nowt worse then tipping a 5 gallon batch down the sink lol

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Maybe a little lead & sheep poo leached from the mountain side, but hey ho!
mmmmm filtered threw the decaying chest cavity of a dead mountain goat...

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:51 am

cheers Daab , ill get some of that, could do with some 2l bottles too.

Horden Hillbilly

Re: wine and beer equitment

Post by Horden Hillbilly » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:06 pm

kevthebootboy wrote:I want to try my hand at a bit of wine brewing,but ive read that your not suppost to use your beer brewing tackle to brew wine with, why is this? and what would happen if i did? quite fancy it but i dont want to have to buy all new tackle,

cheers and beers
kev
I always keep my beer & wine equipment seperate as the hops present in beers can give the equipment a "green tinge" & smell over a period of time, as which can be seen here, 3rd picture down.

My opinion only, I prefer to keep them seperate as I don't want to take the risk of spoiling a wine by using equipment which has been used for beer.

Also, as wine can take much longer than beer to ferment, it would slow my brewing levels down dramatically. I can easily have a beer (or 2!) on the go at the same time as a wine.

kevthebootboy

Post by kevthebootboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:04 am

thanks HH ,yea i can see theres a massive colour difference, i think im going to do what Frisp sugested and do a small batch in a 5L bottle, just fancy brewing something for my house mates as they drink wine/cider,
and i wouldnt mind banging out a nice pear cider for the missus,
thanks again
kev

Frisp

Post by Frisp » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:35 pm

Road Runner wrote:
Frisp wrote:I tip the water
Why not use the water. If it's "Natural Spring Water" surely it'll have less chlorine/chloromine etc than Tap Water.

Maybe a little lead & sheep poo leached from the mountain side, but hey ho! :lol:
I do use the water . the wife snaffles it so it doesnt fill her expensive iron with crap and killing it like the last one she had. I also tip it into a 25 ltr tub for othe ruse later. Its not wasted