STRAWBERRY WINE

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
bigbrew

STRAWBERRY WINE

Post by bigbrew » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:10 pm

I need a little help, I am going to try the make strawberry wine (tins from TESCO)... looking at doing about 5 gallons.... would this work..

Ferment in a normal 5 gallon fermenting bucket, after x days syphon in to a closed fermenting bucket with air lock and after x weeks, syphon into a pressure barrel... leave for months...

would this work..

could someone advise what I would need and what volume of ingredients would be needed... are there any step by step guides anywhere..

Sorry for all the questions.

BillJames
Piss Artist

Post by BillJames » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Dear BB

I think this is the safest way to make strawberry wine. The fresh fruit is so full of dimples in which bacteria and wild yeasts can hide that SW frequently goes bad before the desirable ferment takes hold.

Best wishes with this; SW will be a magnificent drink and just the thing to mix 50/50 with TC.

Bill

PS Sorry I missed the quantities question. Aim for 2.5 lb total fermentables per gallon but don't add all the sugar at once. Keep topping up phase 2 with sugar syrup bit by bit. To get the flavour for 40 pints I reckon 3 litres of strawbs in juice or syrup should do it. Try to avoid anything with sulphur as the preservative and I would not heat the strawbs, just mash 'em.

I have never done SW but I have had succes with tinned peach, apricots and blueberries using similar amounts.

Bill

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:43 am

see here...

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/show ... php?t=1836

multiply everything by 5 except the yeast..

the pressure barrel is no good for storing wine unless you want to carbonate it. Use glass

umpa

Post by umpa » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:12 pm

I have just recently bottled my first strawberry & grape wine, I used fresh fruit from our local Aldi. It was my own recipe, and must confess to making it up as I went along.

I had no problems with it at all, and it tasted great (at bottle time) - I am letting it settle in the bottles for a while before I pop one open.

If you want I can give you my recipe and method if you like.

Regards
Ump..