Newbie question - wine bottle related...

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
bevanjon74

Newbie question - wine bottle related...

Post by bevanjon74 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:32 am

Hi All

I'm fairly new to all this brewing lark, and have a nice Crusader and a Cider clearing in beerspheres in my shed which I am battling my impatience not to try!

However, my question is actually from SWMBA who has started to make wine.
it sounds silly, and I am sure it has been asked/answered before, but is there any reason why you cannot use the new fangled screw top wine bottles that you get supermarket wine in, rather than using cork bottles etc?
Is there any reason why not, will the seal not be strong enough? Are the bottles not strong enough..

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and obviosuly if its a dumb question please be gentle
Cheers
BJ74

Duffbeer

Post by Duffbeer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:38 pm

They will be fine if you use the original (undamaged) cap, it can help to wrap cling film around the thread to ensure a good seal.
Also do not cork these bottles the opening is slightly larger than cork bottles and leakage can occur.

NickL

Post by NickL » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:24 pm

I read on another thread that the bottle caps that seal with a wax disc are not suitable for reusing I think :)

EDIT I did read it, here

Duffbeer

Post by Duffbeer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:50 pm

NickL wrote:I read on another thread that the bottle caps that seal with a wax disc are not suitable for reusing I think :)

EDIT I did read it, here
Yep your probably right, but the majority of commercial screw cap bottles now have plastic seals.

bevanjon74

Post by bevanjon74 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:30 pm

Thanks Guys, yes the ones we have saved are the plastic type. I'll give it a go and let you know the outcome.
Thanks for the input, this place is great! Everyone is so happy to share their knowledge with newbies like myself.
Cheers BJ74

BrewStew

Post by BrewStew » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:20 pm

heh what a co-incidence! I was just about to ask the very same question as i've been saving screwtops for my kit wine :D

thanks to all :)

eeyores61

Post by eeyores61 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:37 pm

me too! I've been saving them just in case they were ok, not that I get through many or anything :twisted: