Cider press

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
GTOrichie

Cider press

Post by GTOrichie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:32 am

Does anyone have any easy ways to press apples? Our tree is going mental again this year and it seems such a shame to waste them all or if anyone has any plans for a simple press they can send me that would be great, of course there would be a bottle of country cider it for them :D.
In the past I have used a blender then moved it to a strainer and with allot of elbow grease got the juice out that way but I don't think my body's up to all that work any more :roll:

lockwood1956

Post by lockwood1956 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:44 am

Freeze them first, when thawed they alsmost juice themselves

regards
Bob

GTOrichie

Post by GTOrichie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks for the replys.
I may have to try making that press if I get time to if not I will give the freezing a go.

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:40 pm

You can buy a 'bottle jack' that will press up to 8 Tons for a tenner!
Make yourself a little frame and use a bottle jack. Cheap and very effective.
Remember to was the apples, then chop them first though.

Prozac

Post by Prozac » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:05 pm

I've had these thoughts myself...... are cookers anygood for cider or does it have to be cider apples?

GTOrichie

Post by GTOrichie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 pm

I have always found a nice mix of apples to work best for me with a 70% tart apples and 30% sweet but I guess it's down to what your tastes are.
As for cookers I have never tried them but I remember in the past being told not to use them as they contain to much of a certain chemical but I can't remember its name of the top of my head (Pectin maybe?)