Hooch / Hard Lemonade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
maxashton

Hooch / Hard Lemonade

Post by maxashton » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:36 pm

Anyone got a recipe?

I would like to make some.

Parva

Post by Parva » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:16 pm

I'm just making one myself currently, bubbling away like crazy behind me. :) I dissolved 1kg sugar in boiling water, allow to cool and add to DJ, top DJ upto 3/4 or so, full 250ml Jif lemon in, cut 4 lemons into 1/8ths and popped them in, topped up to shoulder of DJ, added cider yeast and shook the DJ up. Took a day or so to get going but there's no stopping it now. Starting gravity was 1080 so it's gonna have a hell of a kick! Found this particular recipe buried somewhere deep within this very forum.

Pictured on left in this link :-
http://www.aves25.dsl.pipex.com/brewing.jpg

Just as an aside it makes a fantastic air-freshner, room has a lovely lemony smell to it. :)
Last edited by Parva on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Parva

Post by Parva » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:38 pm

http://www.aves25.dsl.pipex.com/brewing2.jpg

And here it is today. Only minor issue I've had with it is that it's creating a lot of krausen (I hope I got that right!) which keeps seeping into the airlock and eventually displacing the water in there. Not too worried at this stage as it's brewing so wildly that I dare say I could leave the airlock off altogether!

Just be sure to stand it on a tray or something else it will make a mess.

Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:45 pm

My Hooch was simple. Orange Juice (4 litres) + yeast. and it worked out okay... would consider a filter next time.

Not done a traditional lemonade but did try atomic lemon which is ready to go (made a white sugar and demerara versions) just waiting for a day off with the right friend over.

250ml lemon juice bottled
250ml lime juice bottled
4 litres water
3 tspoon sweetener
1 kg sugar
yeast

white sugar came out at 8.7%
demerara 10.7%

smiles
adam

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:11 pm

I did a sugar/lemon juice/sweetener brew last Christmas but it got left for too long over Crimbo and was very "yeasty" and flat.

I reckon it'll still be on here if you search...

chopperswookie

Post by chopperswookie » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:44 pm

WINE YEAST............................... 90p
BOTTLE MINERAL WATER (5lt)........ 87p
LEMONS (THREE)......................... 45p
JIF LEMON JUICE (500ml)............... 82p
BAG OF SUGAR............................. 77p

i did this ages ago. ferm with half the sugar for a week or so with the lid of the bottle "loose" then add the rest of the sugar and leave for a month.

rhodian

Post by rhodian » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:04 pm

oh, this interests me. very much. what was your final product like? drinkable or better? i'm guessing kinda rough, but i guess that's part of it's charm! what ABV roughly?

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:58 pm

It's sitting in a demi, only just finished primary. Took nearly two weeks to stop bubbling like mad. Doesn't smell of anything, but will probably rack to soft drinks bottles and prime this weekend.