Finlandia Pear/Apple Cider - third brew so a little worried.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
bevanjon74

Finlandia Pear/Apple Cider - third brew so a little worried.

Post by bevanjon74 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi all

Just a quick question, I'm on my third kit brew - after one not so successfull Milestone crusader, and a fantastically wonderful Brewmaster Cider - I am trying a Finlandia Apple and Pear cider kit...

Has anyone else tried these? I have two burning questions:
1) The colour of the mixture in the can was more "beer" colour than cider... ie a more darker brown than the Brewmaster - is this right? It doesn't look anything like the colour of the finished cider product on the label....
2) While fermenting like a bubbling volcano, and in fact keeping me awake at night, there is a distinct smell of rotten eggs coming from the fermenter... again I have read on the beer section that eggy stinks are normal (insert a gag here!) but are they normal with cider...

Any feedback most appreciated...

The smell is not worrying me, but the colour is very odd for a cider! Will it lighten up???

BJ74

MightyMouth

Post by MightyMouth » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:52 pm

I have brewed 3 Cider kits so far all the same brand and they were all different colors. The one I have now is very dark compared to the others and has a different taste too. Go figure.

bevanjon74

Post by bevanjon74 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks MM
If thats the case I guess all may be well... as long as it tastes ok then theres no bother!
Cheers
BJ74

bevanjon74

Post by bevanjon74 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am

This has now gone into the barrell and it smelt and tasted (yes I had a little try before barrelling it!!) gorgeous...
So all good.. Thanks for the advice MM

jonnyv

Post by jonnyv » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:46 pm

I have a Finlandia Cider kit fermenting... I started fermenting it one evening inside, went shopping with the missus the next day and came home to an egg smelling house :shock:

Was then instructed to move the FV outside into our store room and to 'de-smell' the house with Oust.

It's still bubbling away and smelling a bit but from what you've said, it should be fine :)

I took a hydro reading the other day and tasted it, didn't taste great but it's got a few days to go to clear itself up before kegging.

bevanjon74

Post by bevanjon74 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:54 am

Hi JonnyV
Got to having a glass of this last night, has turned out lovely!
The pear taste is definately there, and would make a great "sitting having a BBQ in the sun" drink - if we ever get any sun that is!!
Let me know how yours turns out.. I'm v pleased with mine
BJ74

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:00 am

The rotten egg smell is sulphur compounds coming out of the brew. Put it this way, would you rather have those smells in your beer or in the air?
:D

SimonPJ

Post by SimonPJ » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:46 am

Ive just got one of these kits on the go, its only been fermenting a couple of days, so ill post my results when its ready to drink

bevanjon74

Post by bevanjon74 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Let us know how you get on SimonPJ..
Had a BBQ for the missus B'day on sat... now all mine has gone.. so its a popular drink.. 40 pints were supped by the guests in no time!!!!! :lol:

SimonPJ

Post by SimonPJ » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:17 pm

Well, ive just cracked open a bottle of this cider, and it tasted absolutely superb! It had a good smell - no yeasty hint, and was perfectly carbonated from the bottle conditioning. I am well impressed with this cider! Ill be making more

I bottled the lot as Ive save a load of swing top bottles. It cleared in about 4 days.