Newbie i need help

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
cooper

Newbie i need help

Post by cooper » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:35 pm

HI

I want to start making scrumpy cider, can any of you lend me a helping hand please.

I need to know what to buy????
What kits etc?

if any of you can help i would be most gratefull

cheers

Coops

tomU

Post by tomU » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:01 pm

A cider press would be a good start...

If you wanna take the easy route, search "turbo cider" on this site. Its about as cheap and effective as homemade booze comes...

cooper

Post by cooper » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:20 pm

What do i need then mate barrels etc?

Parva

Post by Parva » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:47 am

1x demijohn (or 5ltr PET bottle), 5x 1ltr cartons of any old apple juice, 1 sachet yeast (bread, beer, cider.... whatever). Chuck all in DJ, done! :)

tomU

Post by tomU » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:30 am

yeah, what parva said.

If you wanna make it stronger boil some sugar in some of the apple juice, say 200g in 500ml and add it to the rest of the juice.

In terms of equipment, i'd suggest getting a hydrometer if you dont already have one so you can tell when the fermentation is over (it can take weeks) and how strong the end product is (expect 5-7%ish).

The best thing to use for a cheap fermenting vessel is a 5L water bottle - get them in supermarkets for less than £1. I'd suggest getting an airlock, although you could probably get away with leaving the lid on loose - TC doesn't tend to pick up infections all that easily.

I'd suggest reading through other turbo cider (TC) posts on here - theres loads of them (usually entitled 'TC help needed' or 'newbie TC question' or 'help - I cant see' :lol: )

Frisp

Post by Frisp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:47 am

I have made several Batches of TC now and Im a Big Cider Fan. Since discovering TC I will never buy Shop Cider ever again.
I found Tesco value apple juice does the job just fine. I would use either Youngs Cider yeast or Champagne yeast. And when You syphon off your first Batch of Cider. give the yeast sediment a bit if a swill round and bung in anoyther batch on the same yeast. Only do this twice as the yeast can go a bit funny.
I didnt put anything extra in my last batch and it came out at 5.3% which for drinking is plenty strong enough.

cooper

Post by cooper » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:47 am

So i need a Demijohn an airlock and a hydrometer.

is that it?

ashbyp

Post by ashbyp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:54 am

I would also get something to sanitize the demi and airlock with (kill or nearly kill any bacteria that is present to prevent infections in your brew)

You could use bleach but it's probably easier to buy something with intructions on the bottle. Homebrew shops sell a whole range of sanitizers - Bruclens is an easy one to use. Iodaphor is better for this type of thing but you need to read up about how to use it. I'd go for Bruclens.

cooper

Post by cooper » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:24 am

So a sanitizer, yeast and i am away?

ashbyp

Post by ashbyp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:44 am

1) Buy 5 litres of Apple Juice, some sanitizer, some champagne yeast (ideally, any yeast will do), something to ferment in (a 5l water bottle will do, a 1 gallon glass demi is better) a bung that fits the fermenting vessel and an airlock (bubbler or junior doesn't matter).

2) Sanitize the demi, airlock and bung according to instructions

3) Pour 4.5 litres of juice into the demi

4) Put the yeast in and shake it up for a few minutes (this is to get some oxygen in)

5) Put the airlock in.

5) After a few hours (could be anything upto 36 hours) frothing in the demi will occur, wait till it dies down so there is now space at the top of the demi, take airlock out and add the last 1/2 litre of juice. Return ther airlock.

6) Now the main job of fermentation will proceed and the airlock should bubble away. Wait until there is no more bubbling in the airlock, and the wait 2 more days (maye 2 weeks in all, maybe less...)

7) Bottle the cider in bottles (500l size is ideal), putting a level spoonful of sugar in each (you should sanitize the bottles first). Use plastic litre coke bottles is easiest.

8) Wait another week for the bottles to gas-up and your done.

WARNING. This is very cheap and cheeeful cider - it's not to everyones taste. Personally I think it smells like cats p1ss. But it is a good first stab at home brewing...

cooper

Post by cooper » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:29 pm

BRILLIANT MATE

THANKS FOR THE INFO

I'LL GIVE IT A GO

cooper90

Post by cooper90 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:06 pm

Another question i would rather borrle it, and i know my local landlord will put some bottles aside for me, how do you go about reselsing the bottles?

regards

andy

ashbyp

Post by ashbyp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:52 pm

So you'll need to syphon the cider from the demi into the bottles and the seal the bottles with crown caps (adding 1 spoonful of sugar to each bottle, or batch priming).

Have a read of this which will give you some ideas.

I'd get a telescopic syphon like the one here, bottle filler would be handy but not essential.

Then you'll need a crown capper and some caps. Have a search on the same site, capper is about 10quid and the caps about 2p each I think.

cooper90

Post by cooper90 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:00 pm

Mate

thanks alot...

cooper

Post by cooper » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:51 pm

Just ordered all the kit that you reccomended, so once again thank you everyone for your pointers and i will keep you up to date.

regards
coops