mead ?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
umpa

mead ?

Post by umpa » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:30 pm

as an experiment I have made two batches of must made from 4ltrs of apple juice and 600g (ish I'll check my notes later) of honey.

One was pitched with wine yeast, the other with ale yeast. Can anyone predict the outcome of both yeasts.

Cheers
Ump.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:01 pm

The wine yeast will be dryer than the ale yeast. That's about all i can predict at present. :D

umpa

Post by umpa » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:23 pm

will they be meads or ciders?

Ump...

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:46 am

umpa wrote:will they be meads or ciders?

Ump...
It'll be a cyser. :wink:

JohnJeye

Post by JohnJeye » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:01 pm

I set my mead off (finally!) about 6 days ago. Put just over 4kg of honey in and 3l of apple juice at first. The hydrometer was just sitting on the top, might have been in dream land when I planned that ! Put another 3l of apple juice in though and a couple of mugs of boiling water in and was looking just right. Added some yeast nutrient in at the start and also on the third day. It smells great

umpa

Post by umpa » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:21 pm

mine has been fermenting for over 25 days now, I'm hoping they will turn out ok. My intention is to let them ferment out and to then bottle cloudy with 1stp of table sugar.

Bottle condition for two years and have for my 10th wedding annaversery. Although I mght have one before hand to make sure it's not poison.

Ump.