making something alcoholic using pears

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
beesley121

making something alcoholic using pears

Post by beesley121 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:00 pm

Hi guys,

I have just bought myself a 18 litre fruit press off tbay! :D it will be here in 5 days. Im going to have a go at making cider as I have a orchard full of apples.

My question is this though, I also have a few pear trees with a hefty amount of pears on them. I read on here about people trying to make perry but it never turns out great. Its a shame to waste these pears as happens each year.

I there a good recipe that I can use to make best use of these pears??

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:06 pm

Press 'em, stick the juice in a demijohn/carboy (depending on volume). Add a campden tablet and leave airlocked overnight to kill off any wild yeasts and s much bacteria as is feasible. Pitch yeast.

You might want to add yeast nutrient, and pectolase to break up cellular matter.

This would be Perry, which is sold commercially as lambrini for example.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:10 pm

Years ago made a few gallons using champagne yeast. Turned out well.

Dave J

Post by Dave J » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:21 pm

How about making a wine or a liquer. I made one up it's very tasty.
Pear wine. Its pretty strong but you can add a bit more water if you don't want it too strong.

richard_senior

Post by richard_senior » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:46 pm

Basically champagne made with pears and sugar.
The pears should self ferment like apples, but you have to remember to wash the pears thoroughly before you chop and press them.
Bottle in very strong bottles, only when the hydrometer he say yes!
Having said this, I'm the man who wasn't brave enough to make elderflower champagne without using champagne yeast and letting it ferment out totally before charging the bottles with 1/2 tsp of sugar :)