TC, SG = Alcohol ??

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
deepinvader

TC, SG = Alcohol ??

Post by deepinvader » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:36 pm

I'm still struggling to understand how to calculate the alcohol content from the SG of the brew. My cider started at 1.100 and finished at 0.995. The refractometer puts it at about 20% ABV. Is that Close ?

Should I be starting with less sugar as I'm getting a very strong brew. My first try was a lot lower but tasted better.

likesbeer

Post by likesbeer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:59 pm

I got a little chart with my Hydrometer that you can use to calculate an SG of 1.1 = 13.2% and an FG of .995 = -0.7% giving an approximate total of 13.9% more like apple wine than cider I wouldnt drink it by the pint or you'll be falling over quickly or you could water down.

Cider I believe should start at between 1.045 and 1.065 giving a potential of between 6% and 8.5% and yes starting with less sugar would help, you can always add some suggar measure the SG and add more in little increments 30 grams per litre should increase the SG by .01 (ish)

Curious Brew

Post by Curious Brew » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:02 pm

http://www.realbeer.com/library/beerbre ... ak0301.php

To give you some idea, my TCs normally start somewhere in the region of 1.046 and end up at 5-6%.

That's with no additional sugar BTW, just the intrinsic juice sugars.

Even my mental 8%ers only started at 1.060 (250g of Tate and Lyle in addition to intrinsics).

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:13 pm

The hydrometer reading is distorted by the presence of the alcohol at the end of fermentation of a high gravity must - you can't just subtract one reading from the other.*

Likesbeer's chart is the way to do it.

EDIT: *At least, if you want to be reasonably accurate.
Last edited by Jim on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:16 pm

likesbeer wrote:Cider I believe should start at between 1.045 and 1.065 giving a potential of between 6% and 8.5%
That makes sense, I'll make up 2 gallons tonight and see how it goes.

Many thanks

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:42 pm

OK, done that, 1 litre apple concentrate (makes 8 litres) 1 Kg sugar, made up to 2 gallons, yeast nutrient, pectolase and youngs super yeast. Took a reading of 1.065 and tucked it up in the shed.

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:43 pm

Jim wrote:Likesbeer's chart is the way to do it.

EDIT: *At least, if you want to be reasonably accurate.
Where would I be able to get my hands on Likesbeer's chart (or similar) ?

ADDLED

Post by ADDLED » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:08 pm

Will this help or is it specifically for malt fermenting?

http://www.brewcalcs.com/

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:05 am

ADDLED wrote:Will this help or is it specifically for malt fermenting?

http://www.brewcalcs.com/
That is brilliant, many thanks

CyberPaddy66

Re: TC, SG = Alcohol ??

Post by CyberPaddy66 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:30 pm

deepinvader wrote:I'm still struggling to understand how to calculate the alcohol content from the SG of the brew. My cider started at 1.100 and finished at 0.995. The refractometer puts it at about 20% ABV. Is that Close ?

Should I be starting with less sugar as I'm getting a very strong brew. My first try was a lot lower but tasted better.
Using this site I get 14.6%

ADDLED

Post by ADDLED » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:34 pm

LOL 20% Cider, youve made apple sherry.
Keep it away from yer granny for gawds sakes!

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:03 pm

deepinvader wrote:OK, done that, 1 litre apple concentrate (makes 8 litres) 1 Kg sugar, made up to 2 gallons, yeast nutrient, pectolase and youngs super yeast. Took a reading of 1.065 and tucked it up in the shed.
Racked it off tonight into 2 DJs, tested at a Gravity of 0.995 If that's about where it ends, looks to be about 9.5% abv. Hope it tastes as good as it smells :twisted:

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:40 pm

deepinvader wrote:OK, done that, 1 litre apple concentrate (makes 8 litres) 1 Kg sugar, made up to 2 gallons, yeast nutrient, pectolase and youngs super yeast. Took a reading of 1.065 and tucked it up in the shed.
Just bottled it, 500ml Shepherd Neeme bottles with a flat teaspoon of sugar. FG was 0.994 which computes to about 10% ABV I believe.

Have to wait now to see what the final product tatses like :)

ADDLED

Post by ADDLED » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:17 pm

well did u taste it first?

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:19 am

Tasted pretty good, very fruity as well which is a big improvement on my earlier attempts. Had a slight "afterburn" roughness that I'm hoping will smooth out after being in the bottle a few weeks.