Cider not frothing?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Prozac

Cider not frothing?

Post by Prozac » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:17 pm

Started this on the Brewdays thread but got little response.....

I've started a Youngs Cider..... it's fizzing merrily , sort of like a pint of Cider :lol: :lol: , but no froth.... is that right?..... only started it on Sunday, so 50hours in at the moment.

bevanjon74

Post by bevanjon74 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:32 am

Hey Pro
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, however I have made three cider kits none of which have "foamed" up with a head like a beer kit.. they, like you say, sort of fizzed....
So from my view, and after enjoying all of the cider kits which tasted great, I think you are on the right track!!!
BJ74

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Only ever made TC - still, never had froth on it, only ever fizzes like lemonade going flat.

Duffbeer

Re: Cider not frothing?

Post by Duffbeer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Prozac wrote:Started this on the Brewdays thread but got little response.....

I've started a Youngs Cider..... it's fizzing merrily , sort of like a pint of Cider :lol: :lol: , but no froth.... is that right?..... only started it on Sunday, so 50hours in at the moment.
It's perfectly fine, it is due to the style of yeast with the kit, some yeasts are designed to be low foamers.

Prozac

Post by Prozac » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:44 pm

Phew!!! Massive relief!!! It's certainly fairly fizzy... I was worried that I'd fecked it up by adding the honey and the litre of Apple Juice.......
Sounds like it's ok.

Presumably need to wait till the fizzing peters out... what sort of finishing SG should I be looking for?

Prozac

Post by Prozac » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:52 pm

The SG was below or very close to 1000 today (from 1040) and as I'm busy as heck over the next few days, I've ended having to bottle the Cider today. It was still a little fizzy so I hope I haven't ruined it.

I have a sneaky suspicion it'll be pish weak and not very good tbh.
Doesn't smell very cidery.... more like a lager......
Whilst making it I, drunkenly, added a litre of Apple Juice and some more sugar.... so this may have watered it down further.... but I hoped it'd add more flavour.

It's a learning process.