Carbonating when bottling

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
deepinvader

Carbonating when bottling

Post by deepinvader » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:35 pm

I've just about got the hang of the brewing bit and have bottled up some quantity of wine but I feel the TC would benefit from carbonating. I've collected a load of Shepherd Neemes bottles to this end (a right drag having to empty them all first :) ) but am not too sure on the process from here.
Is it OK to clear the TC right down to crystal before bottling?
How much and what type of sugar in a 500ml bottle?
Is there a limit to the %ABV that will carbonate?

Advice would be appreciated as I have about 10 gallons waiting

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:08 pm

It's best not to let the brew go crystal clear before bottling - you need some residual yeast to ferment the priming sugar, which should be around 1/2 teaspoon per pint bottle.

And yes, if it's a high gravity brew (e.g. wine strength), the yeast may struggle to ferment the priming sugar. Maybe a dose of fresh yeast when bottling? Someone with more experience of this type of brew may advise you better on that one.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:01 pm

OK Gave it a try, Had a gallon og Pineapple brew to get bottled so used about a level teaspoon of the caramel syrup they sell for flovouring coffee and bottled in 500 ml Shepherd Neeme bottles. It's my daughter's birthday BBQ on the 20th and she asked for a Pineapple brew. We'll have to see if it carbonates or just tastes sweet.

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:13 pm

..that is very clear mate... :D

ashbyp

Post by ashbyp » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:28 pm

fingers crossed. i've had very clear TC carbonate nicely before...

tubby_shaw

Post by tubby_shaw » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:50 am

It will carbonate given time, even the clearest of brews will have some viable yeast cells in suspension. Fingers crossed that it has enough time :?

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:53 am

Garth wrote:..that is very clear mate... :D
It was started 26/7/08, racked into a DJ 30/7/08, racked again 3/9/08 and suddenly went as clear as you see. Just left it in the shed. Patience is obviously a virtue (and a poor memory helps :? )

nee

Post by nee » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:37 pm

deepinvader wrote:
Garth wrote:..that is very clear mate... :D
It was started 26/7/08, racked into a DJ 30/7/08, racked again 3/9/08 and suddenly went as clear as you see. Just left it in the shed. Patience is obviously a virtue (and a poor memory helps :? )
I keep seeing the word "racked" on here. Is that just a term for transferring from 1 DJ to another (minus the sludge in the bottom) ?

BlackBag

Post by BlackBag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:40 pm

Yup.

vinceg

Post by vinceg » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:48 am

Cool labels on the pineapple stuff. How did you do them? Do they go through your computer printer or something??

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:11 pm

vinceg wrote:Cool labels on the pineapple stuff. How did you do them? Do they go through your computer printer or something??
I print them by the sheet off the PC, cut and stick on with wallpaper lap paste.

If you email me direct I'll send over the word format sheet.

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:15 pm

The party went great, the bottled TC did not actually carbonate in time but no problem, by the time they got to that they were in no condition to care !!!!

The 3 gallons I put in a King Keg, gasssed to max a day in advance and re-gassed as it was used, didn't hold the gas, as soon as the froth cleared it was dead flat.

Any suggestions??

Garth
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Garth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:00 pm

keep it chilled if you can while it's gassing up, cold liquid absorbs more CO2. you're more likely then to have the tiny rising bubbles of a carbonated beer, rather than a massive frothy head on a really flat beer.

if it's bright beer (ie no yeast at the bottom) you can rock the keg from side to side while the gas is on and this will increase the surface area of the beer, allowing more CO2 absorption.