naive apple cider question

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
rhodian

naive apple cider question

Post by rhodian » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:54 pm

right, made TC a couple of times now, one bad batch and one lovely one (hooray tesco value apple juice!) and now have a big bag of apples from mum's neighbour.

so ready to make cider directly from apples and thinking about washing the apples cos there seems little point in sterilising everything if i don't wash the ingredients too... but, well, i just wondered what people do to wash their apples. a quick rinse under the tap? a dunk in scalding water? or does anyone go so far as to dip in sterilising liquid (yuk) and rinse thoroughly?

i feel this to be a very naive question and i know that the first person i ever met who made homemade cider, well, i suspect that the very idea of washing his apples never crossed his mind... but really, what does everyone else do?

cheers

edit1now
Under the Table

Post by edit1now » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:44 pm

Quick rinse under the tap to get the mud off. Cut out any bad bits as they will make your cider taste like Str*****w (your budget longlife apple juice is made of much nicer apples than the big cidermakers use).

You'll need to pulp the apples if possible - about four hours running in batches through the food processor, or maybe you're lucky enough to own a crusher :D . I wonder if you could use a juicing machine?

I have a home-made miniature wine press, which I use for the grapes from the garden, but I still mash-up the grapes first (in the washing-up bowl with a potato masher).

Get a healthy cider yeast starter going the day before, so that when you pitch , it will probably out-compete anything natural.

Some people put metabisulphite in the must to slow-down any natural nasties - packet yeast should be resistant to it.

rhodian

Post by rhodian » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:42 pm

many thanks! i have a pretty heavy-duty (and underused) juicer which i intend to use. i'll let you know how it goes!

cheers

ian

likesbeer

Post by likesbeer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:53 pm

I'd be interested to hear how the juicer goes as its never mentioned anywhere with regards to cider from apples
http://www.cider.org.uk/
Is a good site for how too with cider plus somewhere on this site is some instruction for cider all very helpful.
I washed all my apples in a bucket and changed water regularly chopped into 1/4 or 1/8 and beat to death with a bit of 4" by 2" then pressed to get the juice its quite determined not to come out of the pulp and I think you want minimum solids in the fermenting. Also removed bad bits, big bruises and any wiggly inhabitants.
Also put campden tablet then yeast and nutrient a day or so later, however next time not going to mess so much and will get a specific cider yeast pitch it once its well started and hope it over powers any bad ones.