Urgent Cider Brewing question!

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Chumsky

Urgent Cider Brewing question!

Post by Chumsky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi all!

I've currently got my second batch of cider on the go, this time it's Brewmaker Cider Deluxe. We started the fermentation process on Thursday night, looking at it now it is no longer bubbling and measuring in at 1.000/0 on the Hydometer. It started out at about 56/120.

I'm a bit worried that it's only taken this long as it says on the instructions it should take 7. This has only taken 5.

The circumstances are different this time, the last batch was left next to a radiator, this one I used an electric blanket.

Would I be ok bottling it tonight?

The consistency of the cider doesn't look particularly clear, will this clear up after bottling/ second fermentation process?

Any advice is helpful, thanks!

Chumsky.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:07 pm

The hydrometer reading suggests it's done, but if it were me, I'd leave it a few days to clear a bit. Otherwise, you'll have a lot of sediment in the bottles which will make it difficult to pour.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:11 pm

Jim wrote:The hydrometer reading suggests it's done, but if it were me, I'd leave it a few days to clear a bit. Otherwise, you'll have a lot of sediment in the bottles which will make it difficult to pour.
Ah, right not a problem. Thanks alot!

Last time there was a fair amount of "sludge" at the bottom, I believe this is the yeast, is it best to avoid this stuff totally, mix it all around and bottle it or bottle the clear cider from the top and bottle the not so clear stuff as well?

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:15 pm

Cider can go down as low as 0.997 in my experience, but it may well have finished there. don't be surprised that it has taken less time than documented.

your yeast is still busy cleaning up after itself however, so I would recommend leaving it another few days - say a couple at the same temp and then a couple more at a cooler temp, perhaps in a shed or garage.

This will make for a cleaner cider and some of the yeast will settle out. still more than enough in suspension to deal with bottling.

how much carbonation do you want in the bottle? I put in half a teaspoon of white sugar, which gives me a small bead and I think works well, a whole teaspoon will give you a more commercial level of carbonation.

alternatively, you could just add ~20ml/L of applejuice to your bottles

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 pm

leave the sludge - it'll come out yer bum looking just the same!

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:28 pm

Gurgeh wrote:Cider can go down as low as 0.997 in my experience, but it may well have finished there. don't be surprised that it has taken less time than documented.

your yeast is still busy cleaning up after itself however, so I would recommend leaving it another few days - say a couple at the same temp and then a couple more at a cooler temp, perhaps in a shed or garage.

This will make for a cleaner cider and some of the yeast will settle out. still more than enough in suspension to deal with bottling.

how much carbonation do you want in the bottle? I put in half a teaspoon of white sugar, which gives me a small bead and I think works well, a whole teaspoon will give you a more commercial level of carbonation.

Ok, I'll keep it wrapped up for a couple more days and then unwrap and leave it standing for two more after that! As long as your sure it'll be fine! =)

Well, last time we made some with 1teaspoon others with two and even some with 3.

The sweeter ones tasted 100% nicer and I even added some sugar to it whilst I drank it.

Would applejuice make it alot sweeter than adding sugar, in fact, does adding sugar actually make it much sweeter, or does it just make it fizzy?

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:29 pm

Gurgeh wrote:leave the sludge - it'll come out yer bum looking just the same!

Lol!

Oh dear! =) Down the drain the sludge goes then!

Duffbeer

Post by Duffbeer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:20 pm

Chumsky wrote:
Gurgeh wrote:Cider can go down as low as 0.997 in my experience, but it may well have finished there. don't be surprised that it has taken less time than documented.

Ok, I'll keep it wrapped up for a couple more days and then unwrap and leave it standing for two more after that! As long as your sure it'll be fine! =)

Well, last time we made some with 1teaspoon others with two and even some with 3.

The sweeter ones tasted 100% nicer and I even added some sugar to it whilst I drank it.

Would applejuice make it alot sweeter than adding sugar, in fact, does adding sugar actually make it much sweeter, or does it just make it fizzy?
Too much sugar in the bottle for carbonation will (A) explode the bottle or (B) you'll have a volcano upon opening and lose most of your cider, stick to 1/2 to 1 tsp per pint.

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Duffbeer wrote:
Chumsky wrote:

Too much sugar in the bottle for carbonation will (A) explode the bottle or (B) you'll have a volcano upon opening and lose most of your cider, stick to 1/2 to 1 tsp per pint.
Sure ok, and regarding making it sweeter, what would you recommend? And when should I add it?

Any info is appreciated! =) Thanks!

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:09 pm

Add a slug of apple juice to the glass when pouring your cider. This will take the edge of the dryness and you can adjust it to your taste. No good adding at the bottling stage for sweetness. it will just ferment.

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:38 am

Bryggmester wrote:Add a slug of apple juice to the glass when pouring your cider. This will take the edge of the dryness and you can adjust it to your taste. No good adding at the bottling stage for sweetness. it will just ferment.
Excellent, I'll get on that!

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:41 am

Right, tonight I am going to remove the blanket and all the covers from around the bin.

I'm going to leave it until Saturday day time and bottle it (With Sugar), making sure I don't bottle the sludge.

I'll then wrap all the bottled drinks up for two days. Then remove the blankets etc and cool them down as much as possible, and prolong the drinking for as long as I can! :P

That sound about right? =)

likesbeer

Post by likesbeer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:54 pm

The other way to sweeten your cider before bottling is to add lactose sugar its non fermenting so no big bang bottle. Mix up as a syrup mix small measured amounts with measured cider once you have a taste you like add same quantity to the rest then your 1/2 tsp normal sugar and botte as others have suggested.

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:28 pm

How does lactose sugar taste? creamy (as in cream stout or milk stout???)

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:46 pm

likesbeer wrote:The other way to sweeten your cider before bottling is to add lactose sugar its non fermenting so no big bang bottle. Mix up as a syrup mix small measured amounts with measured cider once you have a taste you like add same quantity to the rest then your 1/2 tsp normal sugar and botte as others have suggested.
Ah, I think next time I'll do that, I'm leaving it to settle down now, so I don't want to swish all the yeast around again!

Sounds like a good idea though, cheers. =)