Root Beer Extract In the UK

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Wooderson

Root Beer Extract In the UK

Post by Wooderson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Hi fellow brewers

After recently making a successful Ginger Beer brew I have decided to attempt my favourite soft drink of all time.
I've found some good recipes but they all require root beer extract,i've searched all over for this but nothing except for Ebay,which when your factor in shipping it kinda kills the deal.
Can anyone help?

Cheers

BlackBag

Post by BlackBag » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:40 pm

Afraid I can't help, but I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I love root beer, unfortunately the only place I know where you can get it is Asda.
So, would you be trying to make an alcoholic version?

Wooderson

Post by Wooderson » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:07 pm

I wouldn't do an alcoholic version straight away but maybe in the future as an experiment.
I don't rate Asdas root beer,it's not a patch on the US stuff or even what Mcdonalds used to sell.

BlackBag

Post by BlackBag » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:06 pm

Glad you said that, I thought I was being overly nostalgic. Donkeys years ago, when I would actually walk into a McDonalds, I thought there was nowt finer than root beer. There's was the only one I'd ever had. Then I got all politically correct and stopped going. Bye bye root beer. Once, about 10 year back I'm sure I got a 2 litre bottle of it from Sainsburys which I thought was nice, memory a bit hazy. Then an old mate of mine started working at Asda, remembered my obsession with root beer, and got me some of theirs. Carters it's called. Now don't get me wrong, I love the stuff, but I've always had the feeling that the McDonalds one was nicer. I don't know, more of a stronger taste? If that makes sense. I've never been lucky enough to try the real American stuff but ooooooh, I bet it's fuppin lovely.