It's Turbo Time! An Airlock related question.

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Chumsky

It's Turbo Time! An Airlock related question.

Post by Chumsky » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:56 pm

I'm defineitly going to make some myself.

I've got a few airlocks and Demi-johns passed down from my dad.

The Airlocks though... look different to most, I've done a bit of research and they appear to be Round Cylinder Airlocks. I'm not doubting they work, I just can't quite see how they do, can anyone explain?

There are two parts to them, the part with the bung on and another part that acts as a lid...

Prozac

Post by Prozac » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:12 pm

put the tube in the bung, then into the DJ, add water to the outer bit of the main body bit, then put the 'lid' on, but not tight........ gas comes up the centre and slowly raises the lid until the gas can escape, whence the lid drops back down........

..... I used to watch them for hours on my dads wine :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:22 am

Prozac wrote:put the tube in the bung, then into the DJ, add water to the outer bit of the main body bit, then put the 'lid' on, but not tight........ gas comes up the centre and slowly raises the lid until the gas can escape, whence the lid drops back down........

..... I used to watch them for hours on my dads wine :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ah ha! Excellent!

Cheers for that.

Damfoose

Post by Damfoose » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Me I use 2 of the 5 litre cheepo water bottles from asda put a small cut in the top this lets the gas escape, because the cut is small nothing can get in but the gas escapes easily, also have them both in a cheep asda cool box so they stay at a steady temp and are out of the light this also has the added bonus of filling the cool box with co2 which in turn should kill any creapy crawlies that get into it :)