My Damson Wine

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
NWC

My Damson Wine

Post by NWC » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi people - just thought I would share this with you.
Whilst spending time with the outlaws, I came across an old recipe book belonging to an old grandmaother. It has great recipes so, as ther was a full tree of damson's in the garden, I thought I'd give the Damson wine a go (I also gave the damson gin a go as well!!!).
The damsons needed to be pricked with a silver needle (yeah right, everyone has one of those!) and you pour 1 gallon boiling water over them. When the water is coolish, stir around then cover and leave for 3 days stirring everyday.
After 3 days, pour mixture through muslin bag into big huge pot. Add 3 lb sugar and bring to boil to dissolve sugar - chuck in demijohn, add yeast and hey presto!
I didn't have a muslin bag so ended up sieving it, which wasn't very good, so poured it through nappy liners!! (obviously un-used).
Went to do a OG - hydrometer went off the scale!!!!
I'm guessing about 1150 ish
Its now been fermenting in the a/c for about a week and is down to 1080 and still bubbling away.
Hoping to get a sherry/port style wine out of it once fermented, bottled and left 'till Christmas.
I'll keep you posted!

adm

Post by adm » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:42 pm

Ooooh.....

I've got some damson trees in my garden and they are just about perfectly ripe.

Hmmm.....

NWC

Post by NWC » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:41 am

Sorry - had a bit of a moment - the pricked damsons went into the damson gin.
The damsons for the wine were put into a clean bowl, 1 gal of boiling water added + the rind of 1 lemon. When water is hand warm, mash it all up with a potatoe masher, then leave for 3 days stirring every day.

Sorry about the confusion !

On hindsight, the gin is far easier to do than the wine!