problem with acidic wine

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
DREADSKIN

problem with acidic wine

Post by DREADSKIN » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:59 pm

hi all,

i have made a 20ltr batch of rasberry, blackberry, prune and rubarb wine with red grape concentrate. it smells great, has a lovley colour, but is far, far too acidic. if you mix loads of sugar with it it becomes bareable, but alas, sweet.

i presume this was because i stupidly added the rubarb (i made a rasberry wine at the same time and its fantastic).

i have tried to fix it with about 6 teaspoons of precipitated chalk. it has made no difference. annd ive ran out of chalk...

any advice would be appreciated
thanks

alan66

Post by alan66 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:26 pm

Personaly with the added chalk i would shake the bottles/dj 3 times a day for a few days, you should taste a difference in a few weeks, i have done this in tha past and the chalk didnt make a difference straight away, but after a few weeks it was all good

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Thanks alan,

hwever i added the chalk weeks ago and it seems to have had no effect. and would shaking it at this stage add air and therefore ruin the wine?

are there anymore 'tricks of the trade' to reduce the battery acid effect?

alan66

Post by alan66 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:50 pm

shaking it wont ruine it, i have also had this acidy taste when there is lots of co2 present, is the wine totaly degassed? i now use 2 skewers in a drill and gently wiz it around to degass, usualy does the job within 3-4 attempts with the frill method.