What's the difference between . . .

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
BlackBag

What's the difference between . . .

Post by BlackBag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:35 pm

. . . yeast nutrient and yeast energiser.
And if I aint got any yeast energiser, is there owt I could use as a substitute?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Yeast nutrient just supplies nitrogen to the yeast, usually in the form of Diammonium phosphate. Energiser is a sort of multivitamin for yeast, supplying lots of the other stuff yeast need for healthy fermentation, along with nitrogen.

What are you making?

BlackBag

Post by BlackBag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:55 pm

I'm hopefully going to be making a tinned pear wine this evening. Recipe calls for 1 vit B1 tablet or yeast energiser.

BlackBag

Post by BlackBag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:58 pm

Well you live and learn.
As I didn't have any energiser I decided to make up Alan66's recipe for, what I'll call, Tropical Wine (look, it's got coconut and pineapple in it, seems a good enough name). Went to the fridge to get my wine yeast and on picking up the tub thought to myself, why's this called Super Wine Yeast Compound? Quick look at the ingredients reveals - Bentonite, Dried Wine Yeast, Diammonium Phosphate, Trace Vitamins, Trace Minerals.
All the time I've had this I just thought it was a tub of Youngs Wine Yeast. I've been using it in my TC's and in some brews. No wonder it's been working so well. Probably explains why, when I went to my local health food shop this afternoon to get some energiser, they didn't have any. This stuff is energiser.
At least, I think so :?
Put me out of my misery, is it?

Bongo

Post by Bongo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:33 pm

I love coconut,hope it goes well let us know how it goes fella,i'm thinking a taboo malibu pineapple fritter mix,corr