uh oh - too much cider!

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Gurgeh

uh oh - too much cider!

Post by Gurgeh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:49 pm

have this weekend shoved all the apples from my two trees on the allotment through the machinery and most of the apples from th tree at work.

9 gallons at OG 1.050 chugging away nicely.

then i had the bright idea of getting in touch with a local farm that i know has an orchard and yes, i can take away a healthy portion of those apples.

that should be another 15-20 gallons

then someone from work tells me that a friend of theirs has an orchard of 15-20 trees and would like to see the apples not go to waste.

that's a hell of a lot more cider - easily 20 gallons....

oh sh1t

i'm going to need more vessels, another shed, a longer weekend, a more patient wife,....

no really - oh sh1t!!!
:shock: 8) :lol: :wacko: :bonk :-k \:D/

oh - and WTF am i going to do with it all??? completely bonkers!

BlackBag

Post by BlackBag » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:02 pm

Tell you what you need, more apples!
Come up to Cumbria and help yourself from my trees. Only got the 3 but they're full, and I aint got the time to pick them :lol:

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:16 pm

:lol:

it's mad i tell you.

anyone wanting to make cider but not having enough trees - i have some simple advice: tell everyone you know of your intentions and then get shed load of FV's :lol:

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 pm

If you keep it up you could end up setting up in business as a cider producer :lol: Never mind, think of all that lovely cider you will have in a few months time!

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:20 pm

evening Alan - if you want to get in on the act, North fambridge is where the latter orchard is...

will you be at the bricklayers 4/10/8?

Stonechat
Under the Table

Post by Stonechat » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Calm down Gurgeh and show a bit of backbone.

Oh.....and save me a few bottles when it's ready :wink:

The 2007 Gurgeh vintage was excellent, but Gurgeh being a modest chap wouldn't say so 8)

Bongo

Post by Bongo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:23 pm

sounds fun mate best get bottle scouting,that's alot of cider.

Chumsky

Post by Chumsky » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Once you've managed to make all that cider, the big next worry is drinking it all!

Guess you'll have to get the missus in on that!

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:27 pm

:lol:
it was quite good wasn't it :D

I'm fairly convinced I can cope if my neighbour gives me the half dozen 5 gallon pressure barrels he has just bought for biofuel (so far unused) and if i do the primary fermentation in my 50L mashtun AND my 50L boiler AND those 2 fermentors you gave me AND ...

let's just hope those neighbourly pressure barrels are reasonably sound [-o<

You up for the fambridge haul Mike?

Stonechat
Under the Table

Post by Stonechat » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:51 pm

No thanks. The only apples I'll be going for are those from Lathcoats. Munching my way through some lovely Worcester Pearmains this week.
Their Coxes will be ready the end of the month.

English Apples are Best.

coatesg

Post by coatesg » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:27 am

A good year for apples and hedgerow fruit I hear - wet weather and not too much (no? :lol:) heat stress - though crapito for our Williams pear - the late frost we had in mid May nobbled it completely and we haven't got a single one this year :cry:

Cider? Can't stand the stuff :lol: :lol:

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:23 pm

I must admit I'm tempted, but I think SWMBO might have something to say if I embark on making the real thing, something to do with the extra gubbins cluttering up the place. I hope to be at at the Bricklayers on the 4th, see you then.

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Any tips on building a press? me and the possible father in law to be, are building one on saturday. got a bottle jack, a floor tom (drum), and a dream... .

Bryggmester

Post by Bryggmester » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:09 pm

adm

Post by adm » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:32 pm

You can have my apples too. I've got two big trees, and they're loaded! I don't have the tim eor the equipment to make cider - much as i'd like to. Right now they're just getting chucked into the field next door as they drop....