Real cider

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Aleman
It's definitely Lock In Time

Post by Aleman » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:47 pm

If you want to 'borrow' a very small press, and can get down to Blackpool I have one that I won't miss Its about 4" in Diameter and 12" high.

Tip for making apples easier to press after rough chopping is to freeze them, and then allow them to thaw in an FV . . . The juice literally runs out, with minimal pressing.

Gurgeh

Post by Gurgeh » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:53 pm

you could stuff all that blended pulp in a pillow case and squeeze the juice out. not hugely efficient but better than trying to ferment the whole pulp.

i would expect you to find that you can extract a third of the weight of apples as juice.

BlackBag

Post by BlackBag » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:21 pm

Cheers for the offer Aleman but I can't see me getting down to Blackpool anytime soon. Last time I was in Blackpool was January 1991 . . .
but that's another story.
I quite like your suggestion Gurgeh, but surely it would make my pillow soggy? Not to mention how sticky and smelly my hair would be. No, on reflection, quite frankly that's a non starter.
What I need is some form of pillow case, without the contents, or with the contents removed.
I feel an invention coming on :boff:

oxford brewer
Under the Table

Post by oxford brewer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Aleman wrote:For those interested Richard Burns (Of Cheers Homebrew in Cheam) Is holding his annual Cider making weekend on the 17th and 18th of October at a farm near Lydbrook, Forest of Dean. for full details ring 0208 644 0934
or email richardburns at nospam dot xln do co dot uk (Remove the obvious canned meat product for the proper email address) Cost is 195 quid (for which you get three squares and board and 5 gallons of juice (more available) . . . I've heard great things from people who have done this weekend, and while its something I want to do, the timing has always been awkward.

Oh and they don't wash the apples or filter out the bugs pooh or anything else . . . and use natural yeast for fermentation . . . Last years tastes pretty smooth now
I went on the course last year...quality weekend.
Have a look here http://oxfordbrewer.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... ourse.html for some pictures and my little write up :lol:
Only the fool, in the abundance of water is thirsty!!
The Right Honourable Robert Nesta Marley

Drinking

Fermenting

Conditioning

buzzrtbi

Re:

Post by buzzrtbi » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:26 pm

BlackBag wrote:I'm not going to hire a bloody press! That'll cost money.
Anyway, I'm not that daft.
If I'm spending all day Sunday chopping/blending apples then I'm not being roped into doing anything else. "Don't disturb dad, he's busy". :wink:
So, back to the original question. If I did all this what kind of quantities would I need to make about 4 gallons'ish of cyser? And would just pulping/blending the apples work?
if the apples are "juicy" enough a great deal of juice will flow anyway. If you are only doing a small amount you could quite feasibly chop up the apples into the finest pulp possible - I use a garden shredder and it is fantastic. You need to pulp it or you wont get the juice out.

Then what you could try is a collender or something similar and press them by hand into a bucket. Wear gloves though or your hands will turn black !!

problem solved