What yeast should I use?? First apple pressing

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
beesley121

What yeast should I use?? First apple pressing

Post by beesley121 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi guys,

Just done my very first pressing of apples and ended up with 2 gallons of juice. I forgot to check what yeast I had available before I began and only now found out that dont have a specif cider yeast in stock.

I cant leave it and let the wild yeasts work as I had to freeze the apples first to help extract the juice.

I do however have these yeasts - are any of them god enough to use to make a sweet cider or should I wait til the morning and take a trip to wilkinsons or my HBS

youngs super wine yeast
safale S04
lalvin EC-1118
Gervin wine yeast No2 GV2
Gervin wine yeast Varietal D

what yer reckon?

Parva

Post by Parva » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:56 am

I personally would go for the S04, it seems to pretty much munch through anything! :)

likesbeer

Post by likesbeer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Dont know if this is to late but I would pop to HB and get cider yeast, books and tinternet (cider.org) suggest use of wine yeast or champagne yeast. But not to use beer yeast.

First lot of cider I did used common all garden wine yeast (youngs) allthough some is tasting OK the smell is really bad and fermented some of it way to fast which tastes like pears again not good.

The latest (only a couple of days old) is fermenting nice and slowly and doesnt smell like sh**

Hope this helps and isnt to late if not I'm sure whatever you used will turn it into something drinkable :D

beesley121

Post by beesley121 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi, thanx for the reply but I decided to use the Gervin wine yeast,Varietal D .

It is a wine yeast and that particular strain was recommended by a cider making website so hope it ok. It is bubbling quite a bit even though its only been in there a few hours. I dont know if i should put it outside to try keep the fermentation going a slowly as possible

beesley121

Post by beesley121 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:33 pm

Just wanted to know if I should add pectolase to these brews as they seem to be bubbling away nicely but have gone really cloudy. they were chrystal clear before I added the campden tan and the yeast later on....

likesbeer

Post by likesbeer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:14 pm

I personally wouldnt the cloudy is the yeast doing its job, after fermenting out and time to settle it should clear again

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:42 pm

beesley121 wrote:Just wanted to know if I should add pectolase to these brews as they seem to be bubbling away nicely but have gone really cloudy. they were chrystal clear before I added the campden tan and the yeast later on....
I've had to add pectolase to all the ciders where I've used other fruit juices such as grapefruit. Couldn't get it to clear any other way as pectin is used as a preservative. I add it now as a matter of course, no harm and does seem to help.