Out of date pectolase?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
hong

Out of date pectolase?

Post by hong » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:02 pm

I have just set away a gallon blackcurrant teabag wine, and was gonna throw in some pectolase but realised the only tub i had is out of date by almost 2 years. Will it be no good at all, or will it not do any harm? I can easily get some more tommorow, but will it not be too late by then?

delboy

Post by delboy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 am

Why not throw in double or treble the recommended amount. Its probably died off a bit even so it might do the job, what have you got to lose?

hong

Post by hong » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:08 pm

Cheers Del, my only concern on using the out of date pectolase, was in case it buggered up the wine in any way.

maxashton

Post by maxashton » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:44 pm

If the enzyme was denatured, it just wouldn't work. Only risk is from infection, which i susepct is minimal.

delboy

Post by delboy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Yipe as mash says shouldn't be anything to lose throwing it in anyway.

I have a hunch that it'll still be functioning to some degree, any enzyme that can be knocked out in powder form to sit in peoples cupboards for months on ends and all for only a few pence is going to be a tough little bugger :lol:

PS even if it it buggered the amino acids that make up the enzyme will probably just be used up as yeast food/nutrient.

hong

Post by hong » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:12 pm

Great stuff! So as long as it wone make the finished article taste bad, i`ll throw some in. Thanks again guys!