beaverdale chardonnay problem

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
dubboy

beaverdale chardonnay problem

Post by dubboy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Hi there,
We started the above wine kit sat the 4th added all the things the instruction said and left it in the understairs cupboard,then we checked yesterday and there was a bit of head on it but the that quickly went away and there wasnt no bubbling in the lock.
So i added some nutrient and stired the the yeast up to get it going and left it for 24hours and there still aint no head but the are bubbles in the lock at least every 2 seconds.
What i was wondering is the kit doing it thing now?

Bongo

Re: beaverdale chardonnay problem

Post by Bongo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:27 pm

i have found i get little head with wine,well she always stops after 2 glasses anyway,ahem,

if you have got activity every 2 seconds in the airlock then fermentation is well under way,sounds fine.

dubboy

Post by dubboy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:08 pm

ha i know what ya saying there mate,but thats great if ya think it ok :lol:

Bongo

Post by Bongo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:33 pm

Haha,just keep an eye on it over the next 5-7 days until there is no activity in the airlock or the gravity reading is stable over 24 hours.I found a rough guide to gravity readings on wine finish like this,

990 very dry
995-1000 dry
1000-1006 medium
1006-1010 sweet
1010+ very sweet.
Last edited by Bongo on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dubboy

Post by dubboy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:34 pm

oh cool mate cheers

BlackBag

Post by BlackBag » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:30 am

Beaverdale Chardonnay. Joy of joys. One of the easiest things I've made, and bloody delicious too!
Started mine on Sunday July 13th, added the stabiliser Monday 28th, added kieselsol Friday August 1st, chitosan added Sunday 3rd, racked it into another DJ on the 9th put in sink with cold water and cold wet tea towel draped around for the cooling wick effect, Monday 18th Chardonnay bottled. Tuesday September 2nd had a mate over and I couldn't resist opening a bottle of it. Perfect. Actually tastes nicer than the bottled stuff (anywhere between a fiver and nine pound) from the supermarket.
You can't go wrong with this one.