Double Fermentation

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
NWC

Double Fermentation

Post by NWC » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Is it possible to make cider into apple wine by fermenting the cider again with more sugar and spices and pitch more yeast?
In the same ilk, could you make ginger beer into ginger wine by doing the same?
Or am I just being weird :?

Jim
Site Admin

Re: Double Fermentation

Post by Jim » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:52 am

I'm sure that would work, but whether it would make a good drink is another matter. Maybe you could be the pioneer on this one? :wink:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

NWC

Post by NWC » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:37 pm

I've already started Jim! I'm a bit impetuous :D
I remade a gallon of ginger beer (Dr Smurto's recipe)with 300g more ginger (fresh and then processed), 1 kg cane sugar, and half a jar of cheap honey, cloves and a cinamon stick that had been boiled for about 2 hours. I cooled it with ice then added it to a muslin bag and poured the ginger beer through. I pitched a packet of rehydrated youngs sweet wine/hi alcohol yeast and shook for a bit and put into the airing cupboard. The og was about 1080, but I was using 5.5% ginger beer, so it should be wine strength if it ferments OK [-o<
Its been there a couple of days now and is bubbling away nicely - however it looks blinkin' awful, a yukky colour that can only be described as baby's poo! Its very dense as well, with no immediate signs of clearing - would some finings be useful to add?
I was going to add some whisky at the bottling stage to give it an extra kick :twisted: - that'll sort the in-laws out!
I might try and post a photo later, and you can see how bad it looks for yourself :?

deepinvader

Post by deepinvader » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:20 pm

[quote="NWC"]Is it possible to make cider into apple wine by fermenting the cider again with more sugar and spices and pitch more yeast?
:?

When I first started (about 8 weeks ago) I was very much playing with a few ingredients and very little knowledge. I made a very strong apple wine by adding about 1 kilo of sugar to the gallon and using Youngs super wine yeast. Ended up with a brew that would knock you sideways but it was very raw. I think it needs to mature a bit at that alcohol level. This thread has fired up the interest again so I've just started a 2 gallon bucket with apple concentrate, 2 Kilo of sugar, yeast nutrient, marmite (just cause I had some) pectinase and youngs super wine yeast. All chucked in together and it's started off already. SG was 1.102 so it is potentially rocket fuel :twisted:

NWC

Post by NWC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Fantastic stuff mate - my ginger beer/ale/wine is bubbling away like a good 'un! About once every 7 or 8 seconds :shock:

With this double fermentation due you just add the abv's together or is there some frrrreaky formular to use?