TC and Free Yeast

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
purple_chicken

TC and Free Yeast

Post by purple_chicken » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:04 pm

I was telling my cider buff m8 about the joys of TC and how for his 2.49 per bottle of posh cider he could make a whole demijohn of the finest quality TC.
He decided this would be a good Idea and so set off to tesco's for all the bits. Anyway to cut a long story short after his third trip into the store he finally came back with all the stuff, sortof..
Didn't get any sterilising stuff, so had to use crushed campdem tablets, got the apple juice, all 7l, don't know how he was going to get all that into a 5l demijohn anyway oh yeh and went to the bakery department and came back with half a poly bag full of live bakers yeast for free!!!
He didn't quite know how much to put in so I estimated at around a golfball size lump, started fermenting like a bas and fermented out in about 4 days.
He gave me a lump and I made some the next day with asdas smart price apple juice.
Both of us have just cracked the TC open and are more than happy with the results,
Guess there will be more trips to the bakers for free yeast!!
Tesco's value apple juice has a well high OG of around 1.080 where as I used Asdas which started at around 1.050.
rgds

Jim
Site Admin

Re: TC and Free Yeast

Post by Jim » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:09 am

It's always nice to hear a success story!

Next time, why not try using a champagne yeast (available from homebrew shops) - this will improve both the flavour and the stability of the yeast deposit.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

edit1now
Under the Table

Re: TC and Free Yeast

Post by edit1now » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:35 am

... and you can probably get away with chucking another four litres of AJ onto the yeast in the demijohn - we've gone seven batches on one packet of champagne yeast...