Storing apples

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
nil_fhios_agam

Storing apples

Post by nil_fhios_agam » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:40 pm

I have just bought a load of apples from the local orchid but it will be another week or two before I get a press organised. Does anyone know if the apples will keep that long and how best to store them?
Also, quite a few are bruised, not broken skin, just bruised, can these still be used?

likesbeer

Re: Storing apples

Post by likesbeer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Store them somewhere quite cool/cold shed or garage this is where I stored mine thread with pictures
This lot kept a week no issues, the previous were several weeks 3 or 4 in total for some.
It will vary a little from apple to apple.
Check them every few days if you can and once any start to go mouldy or dark brown squidgy looking pull them out and bin them, if left they will cause the ones touching it to go off and so on, if not carefull it will spread quite quickly.
You could store in plastic storage boxes but if you do 1 or twice of the week shift them from one box to another pickng out bad ones.
A box my brother left without checking for almost 2 weeks 50%+ ended up rubbish.

A few bruised shouldnt be an issue read somewher 10% bruisers are OK, very badly bruised might not last long good luck

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:27 pm

you've no problem to store them for 2 weeks, even if there's some one bruised 8)
it doesn't matter if you've some bruised apples, but not rotten !! :(
some varieties store better than other, if there're too brown you're loosing juice !!
store them in a cool place out side or in a aerated place, if ther're in bags: don't pile more than 1 m high.
it's better to wait 2 weeks before pressing because the starch wich are in the apple must change in soluble sugar.
when you'll be ready to press, remove all the rotten apples, wash it before crush. and leave them 3 hours before pressing to get more juice with a better color.

i've pick up 2 tonnes last saturday and store them outside in plastic boxes.

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:30 am

I have mine on a sleeping bag out on the gravel, with a curtain laid over the top. There are apples in the pile that have been there over a month and they are still ok – but I do go through every other day and take out any mouldy ones – I would say I have lost a bucket full out of a 250kg pile of apples. If your apples are windfall best to use them sooner but there really is no panic - I was the pile down with a hose every time I add to it to help get rid of any nasty surface bacteria (probably also gets rid of some good yeast as well - see later)
It’s all about maxing the sugar and starches I believe – it’s better to store a pile than press right away.
To get maximum yield I do sort-of the following (bearing in mind my volumes are good but not massive):
Sunday – wash and chop and put in sealed plastic tubs (keep the flies off)
Wednesday / Thursday – pulp (I use a pulpmaster bucket – a brilliant device)
Saturday / Sunday – Press (I am a heretic as I sulphite)
+24hrs add champagne yeast (plus a teaspoon of citric acid per gallon if the mix is 100% dessert apples)