Pressing apples Tommorow, any hints..

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Flaming Barrel

Pressing apples Tommorow, any hints..

Post by Flaming Barrel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:51 pm

I've collected 180 kgs apples last weekend (from the inlaws orchard), these were mostly fresh windfalls.
I collected a car jack press tonight and i'm goning to press the apples tomm.
How much juice do you think i'll get?
I have cider yeast & champers yeast, what temp should i ferment at, indoors or out in the workshop/garage. (18c or 10c )?
Any other hints & tips appreciated, im a first timer. [-o<

awalker
Under the Table

Re: Pressing apples Tommorow, any hints..

Post by awalker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:37 am

I am sure an expert will be along shortly, but until then you have me.

First of all well done on all those apples :D
You will need to cut up or mash the apples before you press them (dont make the same mistake I did !)
If you had smaller amounts I woulde suggest freezing them first for a few days, let them thaw and you will get a lot more juice out.
So with all those apples you probably need some one cutting them all up into quarters(watch out for blisters here) , while the other person presses.
Some people user garden shredders to do this but there just mad :wink:

The juice if I rememeber from C.berrys wine book is something like a bucket full of apples gives 1 gallon of juice (I will check this if I can, it could be half a gallon, any how loads of juice)
Cider yeast will give you a nice cider, the champagne yeast will give you a drier cider.
Check the yeast temp my latest one will go down to 10oC but I alwasy try to keep it somewhere about 18oC.
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:03 am

Don’t worry too much about the fermentation temperature but if it gets too warm the cider will produce "pear drop esther" (not very nice) so its better if you keep it cooler and are patient with fermentation.

Your pressing should be efficient if you start with a 2” cheese of pulp and after pressing it’s less than ½” and quite dry.

It goes something like this:

1) Buy John Lomax’s “Cider Making On A Small Scale” from Amazon. And read it. And read it again. Its like the bible, only more important.
2) You need to do three stages before pressing
- Wash
- Quarter / chop
- Bash
3) Wash all your equipment down between each pressing with a hose pipe
4) Press juice into demijohns even if you are ultimately using 5 gallon bins – it helps keep the vinegar flies away during pressing

Now I’m going to ruin your fun a bit as you wouldn’t be pressing this weekend if you follow my method – here’s how I press:

1) Saturday/Sunday Put your apples in a bucket full of water to wash them (change the water with every bucket full of apples) and chop them at least into quarters (I slice a bit off the bottom so the apples flat then slice the rest of the apple – I use an 8” – ie big – knife with a narrow blade). Chop out the rot and the mould, don’t worry about bruises. If you are reasonably quick you should be able to create a fermentation bin full of chopped apples in 30 minutes.
2) Leave the chopped apples in sealed fermentation bins for a couple of days (or more) to soften. I put a wet blanket over each bin to help keep the flies away.
3) Then bash the apples into a pulp. This is traditionally done domestically by putting chopped apples into a bucket and hitting them with an oak post – this is very laborious. From your local LBS (or Vigo direct) you can buy a pulpmaster bucket. It seems expensive for what it is but your yield and quality of pulp will improve hugely and the time will be cut more than by half. Don’t use a kitchen blender. Add pectolase (pectolitic enzyme) to the pulp – improves yield and quality and makes a clearer cider.
4) Leave for at least 24 hours – if not longer – it helps starch and sugar develop – again I put a wet blanket over the bin.
5) By now it’s next Sat/Sun and it’s time to press – at last! Try to remember to do a hydrometer reading so you can predict the final strength.

I sulphite some, other stuff I don’t, and I sometimes add sugar and citric acid (and oak chips) but regardless, I always use champagne yeast. Others prefer a specific cider or a white wine yeast, or just let it find its own natural yeasts.

Depending on your type of apple – afermentation bin full of pulp will yield about 3/4 of a fermentation bin full of cider.

If I have to pick the stage to really give attention to it’s the pulping stage – even commercial cider presses use finely milled/pulped apples and if your pulp is too lumpy regardless of how powerful your press is (I use a 10 tonne bottle jack over 2 or 3 2” cheeses) your yield and quality will suffer.

Its really good fun doing this – you’ll enjoy it massively and be startled by the quality of your final product, within the first 10 days you’ll be amazed how that muddy brown juice you started with is turning into a lovely bright cider.

pm me if you need any other info - not saying my way is right, but it does work. :D

If you really MUST press this weekend, chop tonight, pulp tomorrow, press Sunday, it'll still be excellent.

Flaming Barrel

Post by Flaming Barrel » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Thanks alot, that was an excellent post, all i needed to know. Unfortunately I pressed ahead today, so i'll do one bin & get my self ready for next weekend to do the rest. Thanks.

Flaming Barrel

Post by Flaming Barrel » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:14 pm

Ok, i managed to cut pulp & press 3 gallons today & i have washed & cut another 3 fvs full , ready for pulping later.
Ive also managed to break the pulping bucket ive borrowed,Doh. Its good fun & I cant wait to get into my cut apples next week. Hopefully this will increase the yeild as mentionded.
I have some oak chips , how much should i put into a 5gal fv? :D Thanks .

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:21 pm

the best T° of fermentation for a real cider is 8- 12°
after pressing the apples, i add pectolictic enzime and i leave it in a open vessel ( you can leave a blanket on it if you wish )in a cool place at a low T° (about 10° ) without adding any yeast !
about 5-8 days you'll see a crust at the surface, this will protect your cider, you've to mesure the gravity, it must be 1-2 point lower , it's time to transfert it in another vessel (carefully, slowly, leaving all the crust and unwanted matter behind you) you can syphon or best with a tap on the vessel. don't move it you could mixed all the clear cider and the crust :(
with this method you'll get a very clear cider, more tasty. 8)

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:28 pm

with 180 kg of apples i can make 108 Liters of juice , with a good crush and a good cider press, which is 60 %
don't be hurry to press, i ferment for 3-4 month
actually i still collecting apples, i will start to press at the end of the month with lower T°.