Making cider from apples - should I add sugar?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
boppa

Making cider from apples - should I add sugar?

Post by boppa » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:31 pm

Hello

First post...

I realise it probably depends on personal preference, but this is my third go at making cider from apples off my back garden and I'm wondering whether it's worth adding a bit of sugar this time.

I'd prefer a scrumpy type of cider to be honest. I've not pitched the yeast for this one yet so I have a day or so to make up my mind and I thought I'd put it to the vote. SG is about 1040, the apples are a bit tart like.

I'm chucking in a sachet of youngs cider yeast.

What do you think ; should I whack a bit of sugar in there? Or maybe even some glucose ? Or shall I just leave it be.. ?

Opinions welcome 8)

vinceg

Re: Making cider from apples - should I add sugar?

Post by vinceg » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:49 am

Evening boppa! If I were you I'd add sufficient sugar to get your OG up to at least 1055, otherwise you're going to end up with weak (but tasty) cider. I notice you've only just joined this Forum - take a look at the posts regarding TC (Turbo Cider, so called because it's ready for drinking in approx 3 weeks). It's a far quicker way to make decent strong cider for several pence. Need any specific guidance giz a shout, as just done my first batch with a champagne yeast - well dry, but tasty!

Cheers
Vince

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:17 am

if you are using a high % dessert apples add a generous teaspoon citric acid per gallon to get the acidity up.

Make one lot with adding sugar for a "get ratted" cider.
Make another lot without adding suagr for a "session / laydeez" cider

I prefer champagne yeast to cider yeast, but its just a matter of choice.

Good luck!

delboy

Post by delboy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:40 am

Im in the no sugar camp, if you're going to the hassle of making cider from apples I can't see the point of bunging in extra sugar, you can do that with cheapo apple juice from the supermarkets if getting blotto on loopy juice is your thing :wink:

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:38 pm

I have to agree - I would much rather taste a nice, fresh, weaker cider, than a stronger cider - whatever you do to add stregth it has an affect on the taste (indeed, some sugars can make it taste synthetic).

jubby
Under the Table

Post by jubby » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi Boppa,

I am certainly no expert when it comes to brewing beer or cider, but I have just made cider using the apples from my garden.

I did add a little sugar to my apple juice. The reason for this was that I picked the apples a little early so although fairly sweet, the SG was only 1050.The sugar (about 200g i think) raised it to 1055. I also used 20% crab apples to add bitterness because the other 80% were Bramley. I used the Bretton cider method from the links above, therefore no added yeast, just the wild stuff which is still fermenting well in my garage after two weeks.
Mr Nick's Brewhouse.

Thermopot HLT Conversion

Drinking: Mr Nick's East India IPA v3 First Gold & Citra quaffing ale
Conditioning:
FV:
Planned: Some other stuff.
Ageing:

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:53 pm

the best is to make a tasty cider rather than a strong cider.
so for me : NEVER ADD ANY SUGAR [-X
all the sugar you need is already in the apples, if you have the good one of course !!!! because i think your SG too low
i'm always between 1058 and 1065. this is easy to do with good apples. 8)
i don't add any yeast to my cider.
i make only real cider , this mean : APPLES, and nothing else (everything is in it !) :D

boppa

Post by boppa » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:36 pm

Thank you all - some great replies. Almost like a forum version of my train of thought over the past few days.

I do tend to think I should keep the cider au natural, but as some of you've pointed out, the SG is a bit low. I know the reason for that - my apples aren't the best this year. The trees havent been pruned for a good while so a lot of them weren't getting a lot of sun at all.

The no yeast discussion is interesting and I did toy with the idea but this is my first year cider making so I just wanted to say I've done it first without being too clever. Deffo a goal though

I think I'll mull it over for the next 24 hours before I pitch ye olde yeast.

No-one's mentioned the glucose though - maybe if I add that I can get the west of boast worlds? i.e. natural tasting loopy juice :lol: anyone have any views on that ?

jean-yves
Hollow Legs

Post by jean-yves » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:56 pm

yes the SG is a bit low but with good apples it could work very well :D
the problem to me is to know the kind of apples you've to mix it. if you don't know the variety you can eat it and and know if thre're sweet or bitter sweet or sharp or acid .... often sharp and bitter apples give more sugar ( higher SG)

the methods on the forum are a bit different of mine, because i make it with the Breton's method ( ok french method :lol: )
that's why i must know what apples i have.