Cider - Disaster!

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
nil_fhios_agam

Cider - Disaster!

Post by nil_fhios_agam » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Disaster! I have washed and cut all my apples today and I was getting ready to pulp when my pulper died. I won't be able to get back to this until tomorrow evening at the earliest. How long can I leave quartered apples before they spoil? I have them in a huge rubber basket and they best I can do is cover this with a black plastic bag, there is no way I can seal this air tight. Should I chuck them?

Duffbeer

Re: Cider - Disaster!

Post by Duffbeer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:31 pm

No, put them in your freezer, you will also find they will juice easier as freezing breaks down the pulp :wink:

nil_fhios_agam

Post by nil_fhios_agam » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:10 pm

WAY too many to fit in the freezer! wIll they be OK at room temp over night>?

adm

Post by adm » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:56 pm

You could cover them in water perhaps. I know this prevents apples from going brown when cooking with them.....not sure if it would work for making cider, but it's worth a shot.

brewzone

Post by brewzone » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:25 pm

Maybe You could add some sodium met to the water as well as this is an antioxidant and will help to reduce the browning.

Maybe not a good idea if using the natural yeast of the apples though!

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:56 am

Your apples WILL go brown whatever you do. its not a disaster, its an improvement.

I cut my apples and put a sealed lid on (to keep the flies off), then pulp 4 days later, then press 2 days later and I get great cider. The sitting time releases sugars and starch etc.

nil_fhios_agam

Post by nil_fhios_agam » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:05 am

Excellent! So as long as the flies are off they should be fine! Grand stuff, I didn't have a sealed container so just left them covered with a large towel.......good news!

Mitchamitri

Post by Mitchamitri » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:08 am

Keep the towel wet but dont let it touch the apples and and they'll be fine.