Christmas Mead

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
mini-me

Christmas Mead

Post by mini-me » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi all, after a rather nice tasting TC, I am now going to try making the christmas mead.
Can anyone tell me how many jars of honey I will need to make 5Ltrs and what is the best honey to use ?
I have bough dried active yeast is this ok or sould I use something different.
Also can anyone suggest an online shop to buy cider yeast from :)

BlackBag

Re: Christmas Mead

Post by BlackBag » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:23 am

No expert on mead, but I'm sure someone will correct my ignorance!
I'd say 5 jars (about 340g jars), more honey the better - closer to original mead. Any non flavoured (no eucalyptus or whatever) cheap blend would do but clover would probably be better. Your dried yeast should be fine. Virtually all online HBS sell cider yeast, give Leyland or Hop & Grape a try.
I'm going to give mead a shot soon. All the postings on here make it sound dead easy :)

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:18 pm

BASICALLY 150G OF HONEY. I use one (or two) cheap honey, to two(or one) expensive fancy honey (ie lemon blossom etc)
the add rind, juice and fruity bits of one lemon (no white stuff)
yeast nutrient,
1 cup very strong tea (i make it at the start of the process (ie before sanitation) with two tea bags, then let it steep for ages.
mix it altogether and use what ever wine yeast you have (i prefare champagne)
rack as many times as you feel necessary.

but as blackbag says, no eucalptus and no heather honey. they are just too strong

you can add spices, say clove (six) cinemon nutmeg etc. it takes it longer to mellow out and be drinkable tho. and anywy mead is class and doesnt really need it

Marts

Post by Marts » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:49 pm

DREADSKIN wrote:BASICALLY 150G OF HONEY.
Probably more like 1500g of honey or it won't be very meady (unless you're brewing it by the cupful) :wink: :lol:

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:54 pm

YES... very tru.. damn you keyboard! 1500, or 1.5kg or 3lbs... make your own choice cruel world

mini-me

Post by mini-me » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi, thanks for your replys.
I have made the mead today and waited for it to reach room tempreture and have now added the yeast, i have just got a reading of 1.120 is this about right and also my raisins sunk straight to the bottom is this ok ?