How much oak is too much?

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
GabrielKnight

How much oak is too much?

Post by GabrielKnight » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:25 pm

I always remember my favourite shop bought wine. It was a massively oaked wine from Oddbins that 'Gilly' described as the 'Pamella Anderson of Chardonnays' in 1994. It sold out in days, but always inspired me create a heavily oaked wine. While I normally hate the tarty, pineapply flavours of Chardonnay, I loved the way the vanillary toasted oak cut though this and made the wine a softer, sophisticated balanced wine.

I'm now starting a Beaverdale Chardonnay kit and would like to simulate something similar, but don't know how far to go. The kit contains some oak chips, but it is normal to add another. Would adding 4 sachets in total (120g of oak) be too much? What are the signs of an overoaked wine?

I used to get a choice of different tyes of oak chips at homebrew shop (french, USA etc) but now they just do plain 'oak chips'. http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/cgi ... 1_21101863

Any1 know of a better supplier of different oak chips at good prices?

Mitchamitri

Re: How much oak is too much?

Post by Mitchamitri » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Youngs do french oak chips - I am putting them in cider.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:34 pm

My last oak chips came from more beer.

You cannot overoak as such, but the more you put in the quicker the flavour will take.
So you will need to check more often so you do not overdo it.

My suggestion would be to put in what you have in the secondary check daily (or evey other day) for two weeks.
If its not strong enough put some more in and keep checking every few days.
Then rack it off the oak when you are happy with it.
As if you dump it all in and extra at the beginning it could taste rank from too much wood in a matter of a few days.

Hope that helps
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

Duffbeer

Post by Duffbeer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:53 pm

The secret with oak is tasting at frequent intervals, I usually add 30g of medeum toast French oak to a 5 gallon batch and leave for 6 weeks, but everyones tastes are different, I would advise tasting after 4 weeks and once a week thereafter and rack when happy with the taste.
A good point to note, you can add more oak or leave it longer, you can't un-oak an over oaked wine.
Try google search for Brewpaks in Huddersfield, they do a great range of oak chips rather than the dust.

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:12 pm

I did 25g of French Oak for 1.5 weeks on my Imperial porter and its turned out nice