lidl red wine

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
finsuk

Re: lidl red wine

Post by finsuk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi all

First sorry for not creating a new post don't know how to do that, but here's my question, Doing the 4 litre lidl wine recipe, after 2nd racking i am going to degass do I need to add any potasium metabisulphate or potasium sorbate before bottling also was going to use a finning agent for clarity has anyone done this or not and if bottling how long will the bottles keep without the potasium ...excuse the spelling mistakes.

bobsbeer

Post by bobsbeer » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 am

Yes you will need to stabilise the wine even if you are using finings, as there will still be residual yeast present. Don't forget you also need to use CT with pot sorb.

Dave49

Post by Dave49 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Came across this thread a couple of days ago after searching for a simple beginners wine recipe, and started a gallon this morning! Used Gervins universal wine yeast from Wilkos, with nutrient, and it's bubbling once every 5 seconds already, and I only pitched the yeast about 3 hours ago! I put it all straight into a DJ, 'cos I dont have a tub. Hope it doesn't puke! [-o< 8-[

Dave49

Post by Dave49 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:03 am

Update!
I racked the wine into another DJ yesterday, as the ferment had slowed to about one bubble every 45 seconds. Obviously, I had to have a taste, didn't I?
And it was so horribly acidic, it nearly took my breath away!! :shock: :shock: The recipe I followed was:-
4ltrs Lidl red grape juice
23oz sugar (I was aiming for a dessert wine)
2tsp citric acid
1tsp pectolase
1tsp nutrient
Gervins universal wine yeast
1/2 mug of strong tea (2 bags)
Heater set at 21 deg
OG was 1114, and had gone down to 094 when i racked it yesterday.
Can anyone see what I've done wrong, or why it has turned out so acidic?
Or, more to the point, how I can save it from being a gallon of toilet cleanser? #-o

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Laripu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:14 am

Dave49 wrote: Or, more to the point, how I can save it from being a gallon of toilet cleanser? #-o
I can't tell you how to save it, but I want to impress upon you that you don't have to pour it out. Even if it's acidic, here are some possible uses:

- Mix with oil and spices (in place of vinegar) to make salad dressing.
- Mix with spices to make a marinade or with salt to make a brine for tough cuts of beef.
- Make a wine that's deficient in acid, and blend at a proportion that solves both problems.
- German dishes requiring wine and vinegar: sauerbraten = braised beef or saure kutteln = sour tripe.
- Substitute for vinegar in cucumber salad.

Many more.

I personally hate waste. I was brought up by poor refugees; my parents taught me not to waste, and even though I'm not poor I still maintain my upbringing.
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:04 am

Laripu wrote:German dishes requiring wine and vinegar: sauerbraten = braised beef
Okay now I am hungry Image

Laripu
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Laripu » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:39 pm

f00b4r wrote:
Laripu wrote:German dishes requiring wine and vinegar: sauerbraten = braised beef
Okay now I am hungry Image
Then my work here is done. ;)
Secondary FV: As yet unnamed Weizenbock ~7%
Bulk aging: Soodo: Grocery store grape juice wine experiment.
Drinking: Mostly Canadian whisky until I start brewing again.