Flat Ginger Beer problems

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
NWC

Flat Ginger Beer problems

Post by NWC » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Hello - I've made a batch of ginger beer as per recipe on here and it tastes good.
Trouble is I can't get it to carbonate - I primed into bottles with 1 tsp sugar per pint as normal - but we have only a mild hiss when opening, and no sparkle in the drink.
I have just read that some people are dissolving the priming sugar in water and nuking in the microwave for 2 mins - should I have done this?
Is there any rescuing of this batch - or do I put it down to experience, and make another :?

Cheers

edit1now
Under the Table

Re: Flat Ginger Beer problems

Post by edit1now » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:30 pm

What kind of yeast did you use? Might you have left all the yeast behind in the demijohn?

NWC

Post by NWC » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi - I think I used champagne yeast.
Would this make a difference? It fermented OK :?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:54 pm

How were the bottles stored after priming?

If it was too cool, you might need to bring them into the warm (20C or so) for a few days, then return to a cool place.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

NWC

Post by NWC » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi Jim - Yes I did that. I had them in the a-c for 4 or 5 days and then transferred to the shed.
Its a puzzler.
Can I try and prime again - will that work?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:44 pm

NWC wrote:Hi Jim - Yes I did that. I had them in the a-c for 4 or 5 days and then transferred to the shed.
Its a puzzler.
Can I try and prime again - will that work?
I wouldn't prime again at this stage until you know the cause. There are a few possibilities as to what can go wrong with secondary fermentation: -

1. There was no viable yeast in the bottles so no secondary fermentation took place (hence the need to be careful about putting more sugar in)

2. A secondary ferment took place, but the gas was lost because the bottles weren't sealed properly. If the beer tastes quite dry, this is probably what happened.

3. Conditions were unsuitable for fermentation (e.g. temperature low, but you seem to have eliminated that possibility)

If it's (1) you would need to get fresh yeast in there somehow - I've never had to do that so maybe someone else can advise the best way to do it.

Alternatively, if you're a corny keg owner you could force carbonate it....
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter