ribena wine

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
lewis1981

ribena wine

Post by lewis1981 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:56 pm

looking at making a ribena wine/TC. does anyone have any tips. i will be using tesco high juice. it contains potassium sorbate that stops fermentation. i heard that this is driven off when boiled. anyone made this and have any tips.

haz66

Re: ribena wine

Post by haz66 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:09 pm

I`m just doing one with ribena but you need to use Ribena 100% Juice, dilute in 1 ltr of water per 1 ltr of juice.
It smells like a wine but not sure how it tastes as its still in the FV.

meikle

Post by meikle » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:59 am

haz66 wrote:I`m just doing one with ribena but you need to use Ribena 100% Juice, dilute in 1 ltr of water per 1 ltr of juice.
It smells like a wine but not sure how it tastes as its still in the FV.
Did you add any other sugars to this?

Thanks
Colin

lewis1981

Post by lewis1981 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:36 pm

i have seen a recipe for this using tesco hi juice but there has been problems fermenting because of the potassium sorbate. anyone made it using hi juice.

haz66

Post by haz66 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:21 pm

My recipe was

1 ltr Ribena 100% Juice
2ltrs mineral water
300g White Sugar
1.25g Youngs cider Yeast

OG 1048

Not sure what it will turn out like though yet its still in the FV and working hard by the looks.

Next time though i would only dilute 1 ltr of juice to 1 ltr of water and use less sugar.

njessex

Post by njessex » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:19 am

Just racked my version

4l Ribena Raspberry & Blackberry
200g sugar
50g honey
cider yeast

OG 1072, brewed out to 998 so if I got the calculation right makes it around 10%, have bottled primed with 30ml of additional juice, tasted ok at that point, tonight I will try properly.

haz66

Post by haz66 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:22 pm

Your calculation is spot on 10% ABV now thats a wicked brew, i`d be on my back after a glass or two of that :D
I like ones that leave me standing after a couple of glasses, so only brew mine to 5% ish at the most, more often less. :oops:

njessex

Post by njessex » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:54 am

Tried the first bottle last night, good taste, not bad for a second try, may cut the sugar next time for a weaker brew, it's a bit to strong if you can feel the effects after 3/4 of a pint :shock:

lewis1981

Post by lewis1981 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:32 pm

did you use ribena cordial or ribena juice in a carton for this

njessex

Post by njessex » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:32 pm

the new 100% juice in a carton.

mark2009

Post by mark2009 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:55 pm

Im new to homebrew & wine making but find it a very interesting hobby. I was curious as to if i could make wine from juice from a cheaper source so looked into making wine from dilute juice like ribena etc. I bought some Robinsons Apple & Blackcurrent juice and thought id have a go.

I used

1 Ltr of Robinsons Apple & Blackcurrent juice
1 Kg of sugar
1 Gallon Of water
1 Tsp of citric acid
1 Tsp of yeast
1 Tsp of yeast nutrent

Firstly i boiled 1 Ltr of Robinsons with 1 Ltr of water and let simmer for 15 minutes to drive off any any preservatives. Then added this to a clean sterilized bucket. After leaving to cool to room temp i added 1 Tsp of citric acid, 1 Tsp of yeast and 1 Tsp of yeast nutrent and gave it a stir and left overnight in a warm place. I was expecting to be throwing the lot down the sink the next morning but 12 hours later it was fementing great. Its been fementing for 2 days. Ive no idea what its going to taste like and assuming ive not poisoned myself (joke) i`ll pop the results on here. Plus i can always make changes next time i make some up

mark2009

Post by mark2009 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:32 am

It turned out not too bad but i think i may add a bit more juice concentrate next time for a little extra flavor

dynamic dave

Post by dynamic dave » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:38 pm

haz66 wrote:My recipe was

1 ltr Ribena 100% Juice
2ltrs mineral water
300g White Sugar
1.25g Youngs cider Yeast

OG 1048

Not sure what it will turn out like though yet its still in the FV and working hard by the looks.

Next time though i would only dilute 1 ltr of juice to 1 ltr of water and use less sugar.
Would that be brewers sugar or granulated sugar as thought you get a bad taste of granulated not that you might taste it in wine?

scott40k

Post by scott40k » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:48 am

Hi

I have currently got 6 gallons of Hi-Juice (must be 50% juice) wine on the go.....easier than a Beer kit....

Take 500ml's (half a bottle of Hi-Juice) and 250ml's of water boil the c##p out of it for 10 mins (10mins starts when you have a rolling boil NOT from cold!)...<<<<also note the pan you use is better if it is a nonstick coated pan as it stops that awful metalic taste!>>>>

it is easy to tell if the presevatives are still there it kinda looks like oil on water...

Now.....turn off the heat and desolve 1kg bag of sugar in the mix (don't use a metal spoon)

while thats desolving half fill your Demi-John with cold water

When most of the sugar had been desolved add to the Demi-John (use a funnel so you don't crack the neck with hot liquid on cold glass).

Now put the lid on and shake make sure all the sugar is not stuck on the bottom....then add the rest of the water upto the top of the John and wait until that magic 25 Deg C then add your Yeast....

Job done wait to ferment/clear then enjoy....

nursebetty

Post by nursebetty » Tue May 26, 2015 4:51 pm

Is this similar to Vimto recipe where it takes only few weeks to make?
Vimto uses the high alcohol yeast as well