BLackcurrant Juice

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
randomdave

BLackcurrant Juice

Post by randomdave » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:46 pm

I picked up some black currant juice the other week an threw it into a demi, I did an SG reading and it was quite low 1.030ish

Im debating what to do with it now. I dont think it will be wine when its done fermenting because the abv will be low, probably about 4% maybe a bit more. So im wondering if its worth splitting it into 2 demis an then adding AJ to make it back up to full demis. OR letting it ferment out add a carton of AJ an then bottling.

any thoughts?

DREADSKIN

Re: BLackcurrant Juice

Post by DREADSKIN » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:30 pm

ADD A KILO OF SUGAR AND MAKE WINE. I DID IT AND IT IS REALLY TASTY

randomdave

Post by randomdave » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 am

Will that still work even though its been sat fermenting for a week? I spose it would if I repitched more yeast.

PMH0810

Post by PMH0810 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 am

I don't think you'd need to repitch yeast, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much life is left in the batch as it is...

randomdave

Post by randomdave » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 am

mm, ill take a wander to the shop later then an get some sugar, add that into the mix an see what we end up with :lol:

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:30 pm

just hope your demi john is not too full or you will have a volcano/purple shelled shot gun... if it is a little full you could add the sugar to it bit by bit. ie 200 grams every few days. as above, no need for more yeast.

randomdave

Post by randomdave » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:49 pm

I have a litre worth of space in the demi, but yeah ill go with caution an just add a bit at a time over the next couple of days.
Should i disolve it first or just add it as is.?

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:52 pm

most probably better to dissolve it first. that said tho i can be a bit lazy when it comes to this. you could just stick it in and put the dj on top of the radiator for half hour. that would disolve it in the wine, and save time, and more importantly, washing up!

randomdave

Post by randomdave » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:47 pm

Ill not be able to get an idea of abv now though will i, which is a shame.

DREADSKIN

Post by DREADSKIN » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:55 pm

ahh sure, it will be between 12-15%. let you tastebuds do the telling, and your wobbly knees do the judging