Rice whisky

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
ron

Re: Rice whisky

Post by ron » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:54 pm

The glass on the window cill seems to be clearing, poured a shot off the top, doesn't taste bad at all, that nice warm feel on the way down as well.

JoFroggatt

Post by JoFroggatt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:02 am

Just spotted this forum as I was looking at some 'rice whisky' recipes, as I have an old book that my mum gave to me a few months ago, which contains another 'rice whisky' recipe that I'm just in the process of trying (just in case anyone is interested). I'm not sure whether the book is a pretty common one, but just in case anyone's interested in getting hold of any of the other recipes (it contains alcoholic & non-alcoholic drinks), it's called '500 Recipes Home-made Wines & Drinks' by Marguerite Patten', & looks like it was originally published in 1963 by Hamlyn, with a revised edition in 1971, & a few reprints/ impressions since then. The recipes all seem very straightforward (which is good for me, as I'm completely new to wine-making!) - I tried the 'Sweet rhubarb wine' recipe a few months ago (which was ready in time for Christmas!), & it turned out really nice (reminded me of Moscatel de Valencia as it was so sweet!). I'm in the process of trying the rice whisky (just finished fermenting), & it smells extremely potent so far! The book says it's apparently similar in taste, colour & potency to whisky.

Rice whisky recipe:
3 lbs carolina or short grain rice
1 lb raisins (chopped)
3 lbs sugar
Juice of 1 lemon (believe this equates to 2 tbsp)
8 pts warm water
1 oz yeast

Put rice/ raisins/ sugar/ lemon juice & water into large bowl. Ad yeast (which should have been dissolved in a little warm water). Let mixture stand in warm place, covered with cloth, for 12 days, but stir occasionally for first 3 days. A scum will rise to top, but do not remove this until the last day. Filter into clean cask or stone jar. Store for 6 months in a cool place, then bottle.

Hope this is of use/ interest to someone out there!

Jo.

Old Speckled Ben

Post by Old Speckled Ben » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Hi Ron,

I've got the C.J.J. Berry book, too

However, mine is the 2010 reprint (of which there seem to have been many, over the years)

I'm loving the bow-tie pics, too lol

Made me laugh that it was first published in 1960, but there's a recipe for Ribena Wine lol

Obviously, someone thought that was a good idea 51 years, ago ;)

ron

Post by ron » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:58 pm

Up-date on the first try.
Bottled and laid down, cleared beautiful and maturing to a nice light honey colour.
Been sampling the first bottle, it's OK, seems to get better, I try a shot of it about once a week.
Smooth taste, warm glow on the way down, not harsh at all.
Got 4 full bottles left, just gonna keep trying it.

Recipe looks very similar JoFroggatt, it should turn out OK, look forward to report in due course.

KevP

Post by KevP » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:59 am

What sort of strength did it end up at?

ron

Post by ron » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Dunno KevP, I haven't got a hydrometer.
But it tastes good, smooth, with a nice warm feel on the way down.
I'd take a guess at liqueur strength, maybe 20% or just over.
I'm gonna request a hydrometer for my birthday from No 2 son (the only one who ever remembers the old boy) so if it happens (13 May) I'll try it then.

Mucknamee

Post by Mucknamee » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi have just came across this site & love it. Will be back with a Rice Whisky that my late parents used to make. I remember as a child it got very good reviews from visiting relatives!

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:03 am

ron wrote:Dunno KevP, I haven't got a hydrometer.
But it tastes good, smooth, with a nice warm feel on the way down.
I'd take a guess at liqueur strength, maybe 20% or just over.
I'm gonna request a hydrometer for my birthday from No 2 son (the only one who ever remembers the old boy) so if it happens (13 May) I'll try it then.
Dunno about 20%......

Unless you know someone with about 30k worth of gas chromatographer, you'd need the gravity numbers then convert them.

Most wine yeast do the 12 to 14 % ABV, though if you chose the yeast carefully, then it'd be possible to get up to 18% - or there's a few turbo type yeast that claim 20 to 23% or so, but those are mainly for sugar wash......

Don't know what the rice actually brings, after all, normally when using a grain, it needs converting first i.e. convert the starch to fermentable sugars/carbohydrates.

The warm/alcohol hot hit that tasters have mention could easily be fusels. Plus I certainly wouldn't leave it fermenting or clearing in a kitchen window (definitely not in clear glass).

What you can do, is bottle it in brown beer bottles and crown cap it. Keep upright and it makes for more suitable test sized drink samples.

All the blurb aside, if it tastes good, brilliant.

Oh, and Marg P is still alive (mid 90's I believe) so gonna see if I can find a copy of that book. Should make for some entertaining 1 gallon batches........