Crabby's Ginger Beer??

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
Yodagoat

Crabby's Ginger Beer??

Post by Yodagoat » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Does anyone have a recipe to make 25 pints of ginger beer that tastes like Crabby's Ginger Beer?
Its super tasty!!

Thirsty Paul

Re: Crabby's Ginger Beer??

Post by Thirsty Paul » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 pm

Guess there's no takers on a recipe for this, but having just tried one its quite like a Ginger wine with a bit of fizz so I'm thinking its along the lines of a basic mash with just pale malt and not many, or may be no hop's, but then with a fair bit of ginger (dry or fresh), raisins (or some thing similar) and maybe something else spice wise (cloves, cinnamon?). May give it a try when I get a bit of time. Might try a gallon with 700 g LME, 100g of raisins and 20g dried ginger (that’s less raisins and ginger than my ginger wine so shouldn’t be too over powering) and should be about 4%. Not sure about hop schedule, or what else is in it, so ideas would be welcome.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:55 pm

I made a 4% pale ale with very low happing rate.
Then in secondary threw 100g's of stem ginger,
Not as dry as Crabbys but very nice all the same.
Fermenter(s): Lambic, Wheat beer, Amrillo/Cascade Beer
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

koomber

Post by koomber » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:15 pm

http://www.homebrewdiary.com/2009/05/da ... ecipe.html

For the love of god be careful with this one. It can be a bit lively. Read through all the posts here about how he made it. I left it till it tasted fiiiiine and then racked (cloudy) into plastic bottles. The residual sugar was enough to prime. But there is still ALOT of sugar in there so you need to release the pressure everyday or so.

Keep in Mind: BOTTLE BOMBS ARE NOT FUN :D

That being said, if you keep an eye on this it makes a LOVELY ginger beer :D

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:26 pm

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I am half way down a pint of Crabbies as I type, then I found this thread.
First thoughts are very pleasant and should be a good summer ale.

I also very much like DG non-alcoholic, so I am going for something a little more fiery. :shock:
I think the Crabbies has both stem and root because of the different ways it feels in the mouth.

My current ideas are about 30gms per gallon of mashed root ginger towards the end of the boil, lightly hopped with something like bobek or Mt Hood to about 20 EBU. Mash with some Carapils for body at about 69C to try to keep it fairly sweet throughout.
I can definitely taste cloves and will add some cinnamon as Thirsty Paul suggests, just because I like it.
Then maybe 200gms of Opies stem ginger in syrup per gallon to get the sweetness, but in the primary, so it should not produce bottle bombs!

But it will be a couple of weeks down the line yet! :(
And the damn glass is empty. :evil:. again.

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:29 pm

Sounds good befuggled

The problem i have had with ginger beer is it is great young, but then the ginger 'bite' seems to fade fast.
I added some more stem ginger to a current batch in the corny, as it was getting on a bit and the flavour had faded.
Cornys: Hobgoblin clone, Four Shades Stout, Wheat Beer, Amarillo/Cascade Ale, Apple Wine, Cider, Damson Wine, Ginger Beer

befuggled

Post by befuggled » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks for that Awalker, I might up the amounts a bit to get a better average taste!
Did you add the stem ginger in some sort of bag or spice bucket, or pulp it up very finely to stop it blocking up the corny tube and poppet?

awalker
Under the Table

Post by awalker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 pm

befuggled wrote:Thanks for that Awalker, I might up the amounts a bit to get a better average taste!
Did you add the stem ginger in some sort of bag or spice bucket, or pulp it up very finely to stop it blocking up the corny tube and poppet?
I bagged it and used some dental floss to hang it off, so it didnt go up the corny tube
Sliced it so it got more contact, also add some to bottles, that was a mistake foamy, foamy :roll: