Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
second2none

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by second2none » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:06 am

Yeah it should be fine spending a little extra time fermenting,
I think my original recipe had youngs super yeast and in the first few pages we talked about how if u do it with water it NEEDS yeast nutrient...

But since the recipe has evolved people using tea and apple juice
There is less need to use the nutrient but I would always bung some in
If anything it speeds everything up!

I'm glad we got ur bubbling again and I hope it turns out nicely for you

fatman300lb

Post by fatman300lb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:25 pm

ok so this turned out way too strong, i did 1 bottle of the polish raspberry syrup and 4.5l AJ, ts of yeast, 400g sugar, mug of strong tea (3 bags) and 1ts yeast nutrient, it has finished fermenting now, looks great but like i say just way too strong to enjoy it, going to try add a little lemonade when drinking, next brew i am taking away the AJ and using water, maybe 2 bottles of the syrup and 300g sugar, and take the tea away, this was my 1st brew attempt and i am happy it turned out and worked.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:02 pm

fatman300lb wrote:ok so this turned out way too strong, i did 1 bottle of the polish raspberry syrup and 4.5l AJ, ts of yeast, 400g sugar, mug of strong tea (3 bags) and 1ts yeast nutrient, it has finished fermenting now, looks great but like i say just way too strong to enjoy it, going to try add a little lemonade when drinking, next brew i am taking away the AJ and using water, maybe 2 bottles of the syrup and 300g sugar, and take the tea away, this was my 1st brew attempt and i am happy it turned out and worked.
Hello fatman,
You are using tooooooo much sugar! That`s why it is so strong!
Read through every post on this thread and you will learn a lot! :D :D =D> =D>
I have reduced my sugar brew by brew until I found something tidy Mun!
50gr sugar 5.4%
100gr sugar 6.3%
200gr sugar 7.4%
300gr sugar 9.0%
Be aware that the Polish syrup has 64gr sugar in each bottle, so factor that in to your sugar additions! :D
WA

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:17 pm

I've been reading this thread for a long time and plan to get a batch on in a few weeks. As a note to myself or others who don't want to sift through all the posts there are two-ish recipes.

Most people use the original on page one, adjusting the amount of sugar to get the ABV they want.
WalesAles has produced a recipe that's closer to TurboCider which tannins and tea etc.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

fatman300lb

Post by fatman300lb » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:30 am

WalesAles wrote:
fatman300lb wrote:ok so this turned out way too strong, i did 1 bottle of the polish raspberry syrup and 4.5l AJ, ts of yeast, 400g sugar, mug of strong tea (3 bags) and 1ts yeast nutrient, it has finished fermenting now, looks great but like i say just way too strong to enjoy it, going to try add a little lemonade when drinking, next brew i am taking away the AJ and using water, maybe 2 bottles of the syrup and 300g sugar, and take the tea away, this was my 1st brew attempt and i am happy it turned out and worked.
Hello fatman,
You are using tooooooo much sugar! That`s why it is so strong!
Read through every post on this thread and you will learn a lot! :D :D =D> =D>
I have reduced my sugar brew by brew until I found something tidy Mun!
50gr sugar 5.4%
100gr sugar 6.3%
200gr sugar 7.4%
300gr sugar 9.0%
Be aware that the Polish syrup has 64gr sugar in each bottle, so factor that in to your sugar additions! :D
WA
haha yea thanks, was just a basic trial and error really, the wife likes it, she adds a bit of summer fruits juice to it, basically with the sugars in the syrup and AJ i would imagine you dont need to add any extra sugar, like i say more of a trial and error go really, got plenty of ideas to try, thanks for the info

Ink

Post by Ink » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:48 pm

fatman300lb wrote:...maybe 2 bottles of the syrup and 300g sugar, and take the tea away, this was my 1st brew attempt and i am happy it turned out and worked.
A word of caution here. I did two bottles and I found the taste a bit overwhelming. I will say with my stronger brew I had half with cloudy lemonade and chucked the other half of the bottle in the freezer. I filled up the frozen bottle with lemonade and it was like a slushy. Very cool after a humid day stuck behind the wheel of a van.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:08 pm

Ink wrote:
fatman300lb wrote: I filled up the frozen bottle with lemonade and it was like a slushy. Very cool after a humid day stuck behind the wheel of a van.
Ink,
I don`t believe that you are drink driving with this bloody stuff! Carling is OK for driving in a van, TC, NO, NO, No.! :D :evil:
WA

Ink

Post by Ink » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:28 am

I meant when I got home!

fatman300lb

Post by fatman300lb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:16 am

the post about drink driving, its quoted as if i wrote it, i just want to clear it was not me haha, i dont even drive lol

Oli1979

Post by Oli1979 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:39 pm

Thought i'd have a crack at this.
Bought the Rasberry syrup from Asda last night, but prices seem to have gone up. Now £1.29.
Got all equipment sterelised:-
Decided against using 400g of sugar, and opted for 200g of sugar. (castor sugar)
And thought i'd give some Gervin cider yeast a try.
I boiled up about 400ml of water and disolved the sugar, emptied this into DJ, then added cold water straight from tap, filled DJ half full, then emptied all the syrup in, topped up with cold water.
This brough the temp to around 28'c, not far off fermenting temp. Gravity reading 1.050 @ 28'c which is about 1.052 OG after temp corrections.
Then emptied 1/4 of the yeast packet on top of the mixture.
Popped it away in my spare bedroom which hovers around the 20'c mark over summer. Put a cardboard box over it, as i'm not sure if sunlight would make it skunky???
Will give updates when anything happens.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:07 pm

Hello Oli979,
Glad to see you are having a go at this! So simple and easy to do.
Your cardboard box says cider on it, you have made Raspberryade, you used water, not Apple Juice to fill the DJ. #-o :D :D
You can use the same recipe to make TC, just use Apple Juice instead of water. Don`t forget the Yeast Nutrient if you use Apple Juice.
Had a bottle of this Raspberryade last night (7.9%), Ab Fab! Just like drinking Pop but your legs tell you different when you stand up! =D> =D>
Tonight I`ve been sampling my Spiced Raspberry TC, Guava TC, Passion fruit TC, Strawberry IPA, Milestones Shine On (100Gr Cascade Hops)
and I`ve just got a Mango TC from the fridge! It is Bloody Lovely Mun! I said the `F` word again because the Mango is so niceeeee. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
So, a quiet night in Taste Testing! Sounds like a bloody Beer Festival to me! :D :D :D :D :D =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Stop making 5Lt brews, they don`t last long enough! Get on the 20Lt Brews, 3 FVs, 3 different Brews! :D
Your Brew should turn out about 7.1%!
WA

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:56 pm

Oli1979 wrote:Thought i'd have a crack at this.
Popped it away in my spare bedroom which hovers around the 20'c mark over summer. Put a cardboard box over it, as i'm not sure if sunlight would make it skunky???
Will give updates when anything happens.
WalesAles wrote:Hello Oli979,
Glad to see you are having a go at this! So simple and easy to do.
Your cardboard box says cider on it, you have made Raspberryade, you used water, not Apple Juice to fill the DJ. #-o :D :D
You can use the same recipe to make TC, just use Apple Juice instead of water. Don`t forget the Yeast Nutrient if you use Apple Juice.
Had a bottle of this Raspberryade last night (7.9%), Ab Fab! Just like drinking Pop but your legs tell you different when you stand up! =D> =D>
Tonight I`ve been sampling my Spiced Raspberry TC, Guava TC, Passion fruit TC, Strawberry IPA, Milestones Shine On (100Gr Cascade Hops)
and I`ve just got a Mango TC from the fridge! It is Bloody Lovely Mun! I said the `F` word again because the Mango is so niceeeee. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
So, a quiet night in Taste Testing! Sounds like a bloody Beer Festival to me! :D :D :D :D :D =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Stop making 5Lt brews, they don`t last long enough! Get on the 20Lt Brews, 3 FVs, 3 different Brews! :D
Your Brew should turn out about 7.1%!
WA
I'd add 1/2 - 1tsp of nutrient whether you add apple juice or water to help yeast.

Skunking is to do with hops reacting with light. Its a beer thing and nothing to worry about (unless you dry hop cider with hops)

Oli1979

Post by Oli1979 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:37 am

Ah thanks for advise. So it's classed as an alcoholic rasberryade. Not a rasberry cider.
I didn't have yeast nutrient to hand so we'll just see how it pans out, and learn from experience.
I hope it finishes somewhere around 1.000 to 1.010?

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:00 pm

No yeast nuiten = No fermentation in this brew!

But that's no problem just add a couple of table spoons of lemon juice ;)

Do it or else u will be back in two weeks asking why it's not working!

Oli1979

Post by Oli1979 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Not got either! I will pop into my home brew shop on Monday and buy some yeast nutrient.