Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Simple Cheap and Tasty, Raspberryade

Post by WalesAles » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:54 am

Oli,
Someone on this thread has done this before and I think they got 11 - 12%.
Read through every page of `Cheap Tasty Raspberryade`, I`m sure you`ll find it. Or just enter it in the `Search` box.
I`m just going to start making my TC versions of these Polish Syrups!
Raspberry and Red Berries,
Orange,
Strawberry,
Rhubarb and Peach,
Lemon and Lime,
Cucumber and Mint.
Should be interesting!
Blowing my own Trumpet here, take a look on `Beer Reviews` for reviews off Tazzymutt and MonkeyBrew. If I can get these results,
then anyone can! :D =D>

WA

Shroomy

Post by Shroomy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:01 pm

Can someone help pleade
I have read all the posts in this thread but either missed ir or its not there probably the first one
Will be putting this in a five gallon barrel how much priming sugar do I need am guess around 60 g is this ok ?
Thanks in advance

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Shroomy wrote:Can someone help pleade
I have read all the posts in this thread but either missed ir or its not there probably the first one
Will be putting this in a five gallon barrel how much priming sugar do I need am guess around 60 g is this ok ?
Thanks in advance
Hello Shroomy,
What have you made? With water or Apple Juice?
Can you post your recipe please.
WA

Shroomy

Post by Shroomy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:59 am

All made as per initial recipe so only water added did add nutriant though made a 1 gallon batch of this ages ago but swmbo drunk it rather quickly so thought I would step up production on this to keep up lol

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:37 am

Shroomy,
I batch prime mine 50Gr Sugar for 5Lts. You will have to adjust yours accordingly.
It says 45Gr on the first page of this thread.
I`ve never used a barrel for this brew. Let us know how the barrel copes!
WA

Shroomy

Post by Shroomy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:34 am

WalesAles wrote:Shroomy,
I batch prime mine 50Gr Sugar for 5Lts. You will have to adjust yours accordingly.
It says 45Gr on the first page of this thread.
I`ve never used a barrel for this brew. Let us know how the barrel copes!
WA
Thanks for that
My first thought was 250 gms but I thought that was way excessive lol
But I will bow to your knowledge and stand well back lol
And fr sure will let you know how it turns out
With my wife's drinking everything is done in bulk not enough hours in the day to bottle it all :oops:

Belcher

Post by Belcher » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:09 am

I made this recipe to the original recipe (thanks second2none) and its fermenting like crazy. For the yeast, I just took a couple of tablespoons from a yeast cake from a wherry kit I had racked into secondary and stirred it in.

As a side note, Waitrose has these on sale for £2

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductVie ... +grenadine

Has anyone tried them? The dilution rate is apparently 7-9 parts water to 1 part syrup so a 600 ml bottle + 7 parts water would be in the region of 5 liters. Not sure what the sugar content is so the sugar would have to be adjusted accordingly.

jmc
Even further under the Table

Post by jmc » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Belcher wrote:...
As a side note, Waitrose has these on sale for £2

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductVie ... +grenadine

Has anyone tried them? The dilution rate is apparently 7-9 parts water to 1 part syrup so a 600 ml bottle + 7 parts water would be in the region of 5 liters. Not sure what the sugar content is so the sugar would have to be adjusted accordingly.
Interesting, no preservatives either so hopefully will ferment well.
Looks like they do a cherry one too.

Oli1979

Post by Oli1979 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:14 pm

Oli1979 wrote:Thought i'd have a crack at this.
Bought the Rasberry syrup from Asda last night, but prices seem to have gone up. Now £1.29.
Got all equipment sterelised:-
Decided against using 400g of sugar, and opted for 200g of sugar. (castor sugar)
And thought i'd give some Gervin cider yeast a try.
I boiled up about 400ml of water and disolved the sugar, emptied this into DJ, then added cold water straight from tap, filled DJ half full, then emptied all the syrup in, topped up with cold water.
This brough the temp to around 28'c, not far off fermenting temp. Gravity reading 1.050 @ 28'c which is about 1.052 OG after temp corrections.
Then emptied 1/4 of the yeast packet on top of the mixture.
Popped it away in my spare bedroom which hovers around the 20'c mark over summer. Put a cardboard box over it, as i'm not sure if sunlight would make it skunky???
Will give updates when anything happens.
Well after 9 days this finished fermenting.
Finished at 1.006, but tastes very dry. Works out at 6%. Bottled up with half a teaspoon of dextrose sugar in each bottle. Made 7 bottles in total. Wish i had filled the DJ up with another 300ml of water to make 8 bottles. Put in warm place now for 2 weeks.

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:40 pm

Got round to making a batch of this for myself today. I used one each of the Raspberry, Blackcurrant and Raspberry & Lemon as well as 1l of Suma Apple Juice Concentrate. I added 1kg of unrefined light brown sugar to 1 litre of tap water and heated until dissolved. I then added 7 tea bags and 4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and left to steep. Added this to 16l of reverse osmosis water (saves me from boiling it).

Oxygenated by shaking, bubbling O2 through the mix then shaking some more. Sprinkled 1 packet of Mangrove Jack's Cider yeast on top.

Came out at 1.055 which is about 3 points better than BeerSmith predicted and it tastes amazing. Ferment this at 22C as measured on the outside of the FV (yeast is happy up to 24C).

Code: Select all

16.00 l               RO Water                                 Water         1        -             
1.00 l                London, England                          Water         2        -             
1.00 kg               Suma Apple Juice Concentrate (3.0 SRM)   Adjunct       3        30.1 %        
0.44 kg               Lowicz Blackcurrent (0.0 SRM)            Adjunct       4        13.3 %        
0.44 kg               Lowicz Raspberry and Lemon (0.0 SRM)     Adjunct       5        13.3 %        
1.00 kg               Brown Sugar, Light (8.0 SRM)             Sugar         6        30.1 %        
7.00 Items            Tea Bag (Boil 0.0 mins)                  Spice         7        -             
1.0 pkg               Cider (Mangrove Jack's #M02)             Yeast         8        -             
0.44 kg               Lowicz Raspberry (0.0 SRM)               Adjunct       9        13.3 % 

Unfortunately I've only got 10 days to get this ready so I'm not sure it will be as good as it can be. Hoping it will end up less than 1.017 before I have to keg which will work out at 5% and not too sweet. Plan is to crash cool +/- gelatine, force carbonate in a corny keg and then transfer to my as yet unused Ecofass keg and serve with a party pump.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister
Conditioning: -
Fermenting: Selection Pinot Grigio
Planning: Orange Blossom Mead, Mexican Honey Mead, Chocolate Stout

Oli1979

Post by Oli1979 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Great pics and recipe there. Hope everything goes well. Keeps us updated on the brew.

CJR
Under the Table

Post by CJR » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:14 pm

My PG came in at 1002. (1080-1002) x 131 = 10.22% abv
Southern Brewing

FV 1 (5 gallon): Nothing
FV 2 (5 gallon): Nothing

Commercial: More booze than some local pubs.

gonga

Post by gonga » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:41 am

Hello.
First post here!
Been lurking a lot over the last few months.I've gone from experimenting with 1 ltr asda fruit juices and balloons to calling at my lhb store every week for some other
non-essentially piece of equipment :lol:
Anyway, finally registered on here to hopefully solve why all my attempts at this recipe have stalled between 1.014/1.020.
I have tried 5 different batches of this and all stall after 2/3 weeks.
First brew i stuck to recipe bar using 300g of sugar,so:
1 bottle of melina
4.5 ltr water(topped up after 6 days)
300g sugar
tsp balihoo vin classe yeast
tsp balihoo nutient
s.g 1050

I keep my brews in an insulated box in the shed with the temps around 19-23(although it did hit 26 one day i forgot to check on it)
After 2 weeks i checked the gravity and hit 1.020. I was a little disappointed but after reading on here people waiting 3/4 weeks then i left it another week.
After 3 weeks it was still at 1.020.
I acquired some citric acid to give the yeast a little something extra to kick start it but that didn't budge it.
Checked the pH with cheap strips and it was below 3.Thinking this could of caused the yeast to shut down i added a tsp of bi-carb of soda to up the ph to above 3 and low and behold it took off again and finished 4 days later around 1.000.
The resulting brew is tainted with an awful after taste.

Roll on brews 2,3,4,5 and all have stuck the same.
I have swapped yeast to youngs super wine compound and tried various temps to keep them going.
Without knowing what pH they should have but All seem to have low pH of around 3
Could this be key to my stuck brews?
what makes me wonder about that is we have soft water at a p.h of around 7/8.
I was sanitizing with bleach,could this linger and cause a pH drop like this?
Anyway, I'm loving the tinkering so not too upset im yet to make a decent brew!!
:D

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:04 pm

och29 wrote:... Hoping it will end up less than 1.017 before I have to keg which will work out at 5% and not too sweet. Plan is to crash cool +/- gelatine, force carbonate in a corny keg and then transfer to my as yet unused Ecofass keg and serve with a party pump.
Checked this today (3 days after pitching) and it's down to 1.015. Doesn't taste quite as sweet as I was expecting and definitely has a cidery twang to it. There is a good berry flavour but it's rather short (goes away quickly). The airlock is bubbling away quite vigorously so I've turned the fridge down to 1C to crash cool before I add the gelatine late this evening.
Drinking: AG#7 Final Sprint (APA), AG#8 Buckwheat Brett (Saison - Saison/Brett), AG#9 Helles Meister

och29
Piss Artist

Post by och29 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:27 pm

gonga wrote:Hello.
After 2 weeks i checked the gravity and hit 1.020. I was a little disappointed but after reading on here people waiting 3/4 weeks then i left it another week.
After 3 weeks it was still at 1.020.

Checked the pH with cheap strips and it was below 3.Thinking this could of caused the yeast to shut down i added a tsp of bi-carb of soda to up the ph to above 3 and low and behold it took off again and finished 4 days later around 1.000.
The resulting brew is tainted with an awful after taste.

I was sanitizing with bleach,could this linger and cause a pH drop like this?
Hi Gonga, thanks for joining and posting. I've brewed a fair bit of beer but this is my first Turbo Cider but I think I can help. Firstly oxygenation might be a problem: Before the yeast start converting the sugar to alcohol they need to multiply. During this initial growth phase they need oxygen so before you add the yeast you need to really shake up the mixture. By this I mean at least 1 minute of constant shaking. (Shaking is very effective see here)
Secondly temperature might be an issue, if you're directly measuring the liquid then you can probably ignore. Yeast produce lots of heat when they're fermenting so keeping it in an insulated box might result it too high a temperature.
Finally the bleach might be an issue. I use StarSan which is a no rinse sanitiser and have never used bleach so take this with a big pinch of salt: First you need to clean the fermenting vessel with soap to remove 'crap' where bacteria/yeast can hide. Then rinse with hot water, soap can stop bleach from sanitising properly. Then use bleach and rinse with plenty of 'boiled then cooled' water.

I doubt it's one single thing but try these and hopefully your brew will drop to final gravity in a few days!