Cheap & Simple Lemonade!

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
marcarm

Re: Cheap & Simple Lemonade!

Post by marcarm » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:07 pm

I have got some movement in the airlock, albeit very slowly. In both DJs so I think something might be happening. There is no form of krausen though but assume that is because fermentation (if any) is not happening quick enough.

I just realised I didn't add any nutrient as I have ran out. Going to get some tomorrow and add it.

Will it be too late for the yeast that's already in there? I can pitch some more if needed.

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:16 pm

Adding the nutrient cant hurt so try it - the fact you're seeing some activity suggests you just have a long lag time so the yeast is probably struggling a little.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here

marcarm

Post by marcarm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:50 pm

Think I may have rescued both batches :)

No airlock movement but I think my bucket is not airtight, but there is a small layer of bubbles on the surface and it smells like something is happening.

#i added the nutrient and also pitched some more yeast about 24 hours ago, fingers crossed it turns out ok.

marcarm

Post by marcarm » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:07 pm

This has now fermented out, and have left it in the FV ready for bottling in the next day or two.

The only problem I have is now it is very sharp and not sure what to add to take some of the sharpness away.

I'm going to prime with 5g table sugar per bottle, but was thinking of adding some sweetener just to make it a bit more palatable. Is this the best thing to use?

Pinto
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Pinto » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:32 am

marcarm wrote:This has now fermented out, and have left it in the FV ready for bottling in the next day or two.

The only problem I have is now it is very sharp and not sure what to add to take some of the sharpness away.

I'm going to prime with 5g table sugar per bottle, but was thinking of adding some sweetener just to make it a bit more palatable. Is this the best thing to use?
Sucralose or stevia - had good results with both. Sucralose is a lot cheaper, but to my 'buds leaves a faint "sweetener" taste on the tongue - nothing to worry about tho

1 level TSP per 500ml bottle should work fine.
Primary 1: Nonthing
Primary 2 : Nothing
Primary 3 : None
Secondary 1 : Empty
Secondary 1 : None
DJ(1) : Nowt
DJ(2) : N'otin....
In the Keg : Nada
Conditioning : Nowt
In the bottle : Cinnamonator TC, Apple Boost Cider, Apple & Strawberry Cider
Planning : AG #5 - Galaxy Pale (re-brew) / #6 - Alco-Brau (Special Brew Clone) / #7 Something belgian...
Projects : Mini-brew (12l brew length kit) nearly ready :D

Join the BrewChat - open minds and adults only ;) - Click here