Making Wine One - Problems

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
SniffTheGlove

Making Wine One - Problems

Post by SniffTheGlove » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:29 pm

I am making some wine using the Wine Number one recipe as found here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40963

I started it on 16th of December and put it into my temp controlled fridge @ 21deg.

SG was 1084

Within 12hrs it was bubbling away (bubble every second) and did so until Xmas day when it slowed down and stopped. I checked the SG and it was at 1015. It still was quite sweet and I want it dry. I racked it off into a clean 5litre FV and put some more yeast/nutrient in but nothing has happened. So on the 27th I made a yeast starter with some apple juice and after then it had been bubbling for 24hrs I put this into the FV but still no more fermentation as of today.

Did I do something wrong?

How can you make sure ALL the sugars get converted in the inital FV?

Geezah

Re: Making Wine One - Problems

Post by Geezah » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:24 pm

2 wines now that have not reached FG or started...hmmm

1. is all your kit thouroughly sanitised and rinsed (rinse several times)?
2. is your yeast a big pot or seperate packets and in date / stored in the fridge
3. is your yeast capable of getting to the fv your aiming for?
4. did you airate the wine well before pitching the yeast? ( I shake the living daylights out of my demijohns before pitching the yeast.

SniffTheGlove

Post by SniffTheGlove » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:52 pm

Yes sanitised/soaked with VWP, rinsed twice,

Yeast was SN9. New packet used straight after delivery. I used a quarter of the packet per 5litres

I only stirred the wire after putting the yeast in.

Geezah

Post by Geezah » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:48 pm

I reckon that lack of oxygen is your problem then.
Like humans, yeast cells breath in oxygen and brath out co2 (well sort of), so a well oxygenated brew is key to a successfull fermentation.

fatbloke

Post by fatbloke » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 am

I'd say it would be more about the alcohol level already in the brew.

Just using more of the same yeast wouldn't likely have restarted it. It would most likely need something like EC-1118 yeast or better still Uvaferm 43 but that'd have to be mail ordered from the states. You can find EC-1118 in the UK.

And it has to be done as an "acclimatised restart" method.

As for trying to use a small part of a pack of yeast, well that's just pointless. A normal home brew sized pack is about 5g and suitable for batches up to 5 gallons but its difficult to keep the yeast in good nick after the pack is opened so given its about a quid a pack or so, its a waste of effort to try and keep it or split it (even if you measured with druggie scales).

Of course, you could just say bollocks to it and fortify it with vodka, as that would dry it out too.....