How to stop bottles bombs??

For any alcoholic brew that doesn't fit into any of the above categories!
suitsyousir

How to stop bottles bombs??

Post by suitsyousir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:58 pm

HI all, have just brewed the raspberry-ade as posted elsewhere on the forum, and have just gone to check them and one bottles has burst. Luckily I prepared for this, and they were in a lined box, with thick blanket cover, so I havent lost any all over the carpet/floors etc. It was a thick glass one as well, that had something like London Pride in it, so I was quite surprised.

Anyway, they have been in the bottles for two weeks and appear clear so i assume they are ready to drink. If I keep them in the fridge, should that stop anymore bursting?

Cheers

afur130173

Re: How to stop bottles bombs??

Post by afur130173 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:10 pm

putting them in the fridge will cease fermentation so should reduce the risk of any more explosions.

i can only assume you have over carbonated these as i have done a few of these and not had any bombs yet. i stick to the rule of 5g per pint bottle.

suitsyousir

Post by suitsyousir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Ok thanks, I will do that now. I followed the recipe given in the thread on this board, and used 45gms of sugar to batch prime, however I think that the recipe came out about .5l under that stated, as my glass jars are exactly 5l large, so the brew space is around 4.5l. Therefore, yes i think they could be over primed, but luckily only lost one bottle out of nine.

suitsyousir

Post by suitsyousir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Just double checked the bottles, and the crown caps are bulging up at the top (the capper normally makes an indent in the middle of the cap), these are gonna be fun to open!! :D :D

afur130173

Post by afur130173 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:24 pm

get them cold asap. it will reduce the fizz slightly.

suitsyousir

Post by suitsyousir » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:37 pm

yep done. Opened a bottle to try it, and only lost no more than 1/4 of a pint, but it stirred up all the dead yeast and it was cloudy as hell and really bitter. Still drunk it tho :wink: Took me five minutes to open it where it did it slightly, then a little more then a little more lol.

Dr. Dextrin

Post by Dr. Dextrin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:14 pm

The pressure from dissolved CO2 is surprisingly sensitive to temperature. So the colder you can get the bottles, without freezing, the easier they will be to open. Standing them in water with ice in it is probably the most practical method after taking them out of the fridge.

second2none

Post by second2none » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Damm that's the first I've hurd of the raspberryade blowing bottles
Hope you enjoyed the taste even thou it was a lot of messing!

I never had any problems with 46g of sugar for 5L
And u had 0.5l less

I just looked at the maths and orignal post is using 9.2g per 1L
And urs came out 10.2g per 1L

I'm shocked that 1g of sugar per 1L could blow a bottle!

Could maybe that one bottle have had a chip or fault in
Or maybe could you have bottled too soon before fermentation had completely haulted an there for extra fizz?

Just trying to help not having a go or anything hehehe
And I'm thankful that u didn't post this on my raspberryade post as might har scared newbies from trying it

Do u know why the capper leaves that mark on the caps?
I'm sure when I've recycled bottle caps they arnt there only when I use shop bought ones

suitsyousir

Post by suitsyousir » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Thanks for your comments, and I appreciate the nature in which they were intended :D

When I cap my bottles, using new lids I always get a small indent in the lid from the capper, but the lids on the raspberryade have pushed it back out again! Bizarre